Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sunk the duse,what now

Old 03-24-2001, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunk my sp today.Took water in the airbox.
Pulled the plug got the water out,filter was soaked so I ditched that and put the prefilter on.No water in the oil or tranny.
started it up and ran 15 miles home.What should I do now
IT WAS A GREAT RIDE

Old 03-24-2001, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

If it ran it should be fine!

Old 03-24-2001, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Didn't you realize that just because it's a DUSE, that doesn't mean it would float? Just kidding. I'd keep an eye on the oil, just in case.

Old 03-24-2001, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

You may want to check the drain on the recoil starter housing and see if any water is in there. You want to keep that stator nice and dry.

Old 03-24-2001, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like fun. Were you in a creek?
I have been informed that next weekend I am expected to " break in " my new ride in the local mud hole. Everyone else has took their 500's through the goo. I tried but failed with my Rancher. I expect the DUSE will swim a little better. Oh yeah, as far as what now goes the obvious answer is go back for more.

Old 03-24-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

If you had water on your piston, there is water in your oil. The easiest way to check for water in your oil is to see if it is milky. Please note that if you let your quad sit, the water and oil will seperates since water and oil dont mix. So in order to see the "milky" oil effect you have to drive it for a few minutes. Oil is VERY cheap so I would recomend draining the oil.

Old 03-25-2001, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Texmud
Yaknow when I pulled the plug on the airbox and saw all that water comeing out and my filter was soaked,I knew for sure there was water in the oil.BUT.....I checked the oil and tranny atleast 10 times,as soon as we got it out,when I was trying to start it,on the ride home,when We got back,And the 3 hrs it took us to change the oil's on a rancher.
I just saw that you have a rancher.Why the hell did the 01 rancher es 4x4 take in so much water?The rears both took water, the oil was full of water?We both were sunk (handlebars under the water)pretty good??I changed the oils 3times so far on the rancher,this morning I'll change it 2 more times can you get the oil filters (rancher)
at a auto parts store,is there anything else I need to do to the rancher??
OK,back to the DUSE,where the hell is the drain screw for the carb?
Blackmagic,Yelp we were in the creek(under the creek is more like it)and were going back today.I'm only dissappointed that nobody got a picture of us up to our chest in water trying to push the bikes out.Mud is nothing for the DUSE,your gonna blow them guys away.Did you get the winch yet?Better get it
THOR,Would spraying WD-40 in the recoil help at all
Thanks everyone

Old 03-25-2001, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I do not know if the WD40 would displace the moisture if there was any in there but. I have seen 500s at various dealers' shops that have been submerged and the stators did not look pretty. Try and find the drain plug and see if there is any water in the housing.

Old 03-25-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

I still say that if there was water on the piston its in the oil. The piston rings would not of stopped the water from draining down.

The Rancher took on all that water because the breathers for everything were underwater. I dont know much about your quad but I would assume that you have some breathers like this that would of taken on water. Something to check on yours would be your coolant. You do not want that to be containminated with dirt.

I have heard you can buy the rancher filters from places other than Honda but I have never tried.

As far as other things to do to the Rancher, follow the instructions here which were in response to yall sinking a rubicon.

From what I can tell yall sank 3 quads. I think its time for some snorkels. I have instructions for the rancher and rubicon snorkels on my web site.

Old 03-25-2001, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, spray some WD-40 in the recoil. If you can, it's a good idea to take the skid plate off and remove the little drain screw from your starter and spray some WD in there too (it's real easy to get to). The WD from the recoil housing will drain through the drain in the starter. It doesn't hurt to pull it a couple of times between squirts either. This will displace moisture from this areas. I knew the service manager at the local Polaris dealer here, and he told me that if you do anything at all (aside from checking the oil) after riding in watery conditions, do this. The stator and starter are very prone to collecting moisture and will corrode if not kept up frequently. I replaced the stator on a freinds Magnum 425 and it was hidiously corroded from never being serviced after wet rides. A stator will run you around $300, without labor. A starter around $250. He said just a few squirts of WD will make these things last a very long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sunk the duse,what now