Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 Starter/Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya man. Mine was the cable going to the handlebar switch theres 2 connection the remaining i wiggled mine around while holding down the starter and while wiggling the starter would work. How I figures mine out. But mine was Def connection gojng to the handlebar switch (the on/off switch). Wasn't getting good connection

Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer

Thx for the feed back - I answered everything in bold! Thx for the help!
YES - Start off by making sure you have a good battery,load test it if in doubt.
YES - Check that you have power on the red wire on each side of the plastic sealed pouch located up from the battery.It contains the main circuit breaker.If you don't,slice the pouch open and check if the terminals are corroded.This supplies power to the control switch,ignition switch,lights,etc. If it's bad you can find a replacement at any auto supply.
NO-the white/red wire that come from the key ignition, I bought new key ignition too, toi start this model you start it like a car turn key. But I am not getting power to the white/red wire. This white/red connects to the small red wire out of the solenoid. If I jump the solenoid it will turn motor over , but I have a no spark issue too. I cleaned all grounds that I saw and resucured them too… Can you hear the solenoid click when you try to start it?
Yes I have power this model has 2 1 to ignition switch and 1 to accessory. If I jump red and white/red and the ignition switch it will turn motor over.. - Have you checked for voltage to the small wire at the solenoid? This is the wire from the ignition switch that triggers it to jump power to the starter wire.
Yes this works for me - Plus you can always jump the solenoid posts to see if the starter kicks over.
Yes took it apart and cleaned it. Seems to work fine. Plus check out the left control switch connectors and wiring along with sliding the on/off switch several times.Control switch contacts can get dirty and cut power to the ignition,lights,etc. Hopefully it's just the circuit breaker.
For what ever reason I am not getting power to the white/ red coming out of the ignition switch that goes to the solenoid. Could I missed a ground? I wire diagram and at a loss.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

All ground wires terminate under the front panel at the coil mount.Still could be a short in the left control switch, switch wiring or the two connectors. Check the two connectors and wiring, split the sheathing if necessary that runs under the front panel to check for shorts. Have found melted wires in this area before also. Had a lot of problem over the years with these switches even if the over ride, on/off switch,light switch works along with the start button that obvious doesn't at this point. Too many functions imo for one switch housing.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

Well I ruled out the switch .... I picked up an running 03 trail boss 330 today. swapped the left hand switch... no dice... I am going to trouble shoot with the good running atv and report back what I find... thx !

Old 11-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by msmccabe
Well I ruled out the switch .... I picked up an running 03 trail boss 330 today. swapped the left hand switch... no dice... I am going to trouble shoot with the good running atv and report back what I find... thx !
That's how I usually did as I had the luxury of having a lot of parts that I could at least swap out/test. But don't over look the connectors themselves plus the wiring.All of this goes hand and hand with the ignition switch wiring.Forgot about one other thing you could swap out with the other 330 if possible and that's the ecm module. Doesn't happen often,and this model wasn't covered in the recall of 04-06 models,but could cause problems if it shorts out.If swapping this module out doesn't help,then I'd still think it's a wiring problem.Plus this module has been updated like the ones that were under the recall.It main functions are that it controls the charging and fan control,but can cause other electrical problems.Item #18. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Trailblazer

I just saw Strikerjojo response also... Did you have spark after that ?
OPT I just swapped everything out nothing ... I am going to mess with the wiring like....

Old 11-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I fixed the key start issue... wiggled the wires around like strikejojo did.... but now I need to fix the no spark issue. swapped the ignition coil, cdi, and ecm on the other ATV and it fired up.... grounds have been all cleaned and tightened... I am guessing the next has to be the stator. The pull rope did brake and wondering if it messed the stator up... any way to further test the no spark issue? Thx for the help!

Old 11-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Breaking the pull rope could be what caused the loss of spark. May have trash on the pick up coil face or pick up coil bracket could have been pushed back. If it's pushed too far back,pick up coil can't trigger spark to the cdi.May be similar to what this posters' problems were. no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

OPT you are the Friggin MAN! same thing.... sparks when I pull start her.... tomorrow I will be doing some clean up! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!