Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 Starter/Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 Starter/Electrical Issues

Ok, Im stumped, Ive searched all over, Ive found recent threads on it at other forums but no real definite answer.

As a part time job I buy broken atvs and rebuild them/part them out, Ive turned enough wrenches lately to where I got this atv for free, so I really wanna get her going and mud her and let my little nephew have it and learn to cruise around. Ive been working on MX bikes and ATVS for about 4-5 years now so I'm pretty savy when it comes to building and such, but this I have no idea as Im not best with electricals, mostly with internal motors and such is what I'm good at.

Now heres the issue, hopefully some polaris guru knows whats going on.

So I got the ATV, Guy said no spark, needs new key ignition/starter solenoid. I said sure, I can tackle that thats not that bad. .....

So I look at this key, turns out this polaris to start it is like a car, put the key in, turn, and spring load pushes it back to on position and thats how it starts, (am I correct? Ive mostly been kawasaki/yamaha guy)

So I turn the key, to on, doesnt spring back, but leave it on, no lights, nothing.

So I order a new ignition, came with 2 keys, was like 30$ or so, not bad.

Plugged it up turned it on, the lights now work. Still, NO STARTER. No indiciator lights to show me what gear I'm in, nothing, Just the front head lights. If I try to turn key to start, absoultely nothing, no ticking like a dead battery, nothing. so got a new starter solenoid, was like 15$. Installed it, Nothing, Same dealio, Only have headlights.

Maybe a bad starter? I dunno? So I take my screw driver and blap the starter solenoid on the contacts and boom, the starter works and turns over, but NOT with the key, I need to get the key working so I can diagnose the no spark issue. (Wholllleeeee lot easier with electric start then pull starting and seeing if theres spark and what not, I'm a one man little hobby shop)

Any idea guys? Is there some safety switch thats keeping the starter from working?

Whoever can figure this out seriously I would toss some $'s your way via paypal.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First off there is a 20 amp thermal circuit breaker on the harness just a ways up from the solenoid. Some are tucked under the rear fender. Just slice the pouch open and see if it's corroded. It must have power going in and out. This is the main power breaker to the controls,lights,etc. If it's bad just find one at any auto store. Schematic shows two breakers,one for the fan the other for the main power. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
The breaker looks like this.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Polaris...c56e4a&vxp=mtr Plus check the small wire leading to the solenoid that comes from the ignition switch. It must have 12 volts to trigger the starter. The start switch on this model is the left control kill switch. It serves as a kill switch for the ignition and when you place it in the center position,you push up to engage the starter.If I remember correctly. They only had this funky kill/start switch a couple of years. OPT

Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Checked the break closet to solenoid looks perfect. I cant find the one with the fan..?? Would the fan one matter with the switch/starter

Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I always edit my posts when I think of something else because I'm old and slow The start button is also the kill switch on the left control housing I believe. Have the switch in the middle and push up. This should engage the starter. OPT

Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya i got a scrambler like that starter. But this magnum turn engages starter by turning the key

Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

It does have the red kill switch though. I switch to on and incan turn on lights and all. Just no starter

Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Have you checked the small power wire at the solenoid? It must have power to activate the solenoid. If this wire has 12 volts,plus you have a new ignition switch,then sounds like a short possibly in the left control switch or the harness?? OPT

Old 03-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im heading back to garage now, Im leaning toward the switch. Already tested the red 12v cable coming out of solenoid thats good.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

I am having the same issue with a 2003 Trail Boss 330 - Key start not working and no spark. Can you please let me know what your outcome was? I am going nuts trying to figure this out.... I bought a new key ignition .. no dice. PLEASE HELP! lol

Old 11-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by msmccabe
I am having the same issue with a 2003 Trail Boss 330 - Key start not working and no spark. Can you please let me know what your outcome was? I am going nuts trying to figure this out.... I bought a new key ignition .. no dice. PLEASE HELP! lol
Start off by making sure you have a good battery,load test it if in doubt.Check that you have power on the red wire on each side of the plastic sealed pouch located up from the battery.It contains the main circuit breaker.If you don't,slice the pouch open and check if the terminals are corroded.This supplies power to the control switch,ignition switch,lights,etc. If it's bad you can find a replacement at any auto supply.Can you hear the solenoid click when you try to start it? Have you checked for voltage to the small wire at the solenoid? This is the wire from the ignition switch that triggers it to jump power to the starter wire. Plus you can always jump the solenoid posts to see if the starter kicks over.Plus check out the left control switch connectors and wiring along with sliding the on/off switch several times.Control switch contacts can get dirty and cut power to the ignition,lights,etc. Hopefully it's just the circuit breaker.

Quick Reply: 2003 Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 Starter/Electrical Issues