Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I am stuck. 1997 sportsman wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by journyman325
Alright wheeler will start and run with the pull rope and will start and run if I unhook the black wire from the cdi box and use starter. Where do I go from here?
Hook the black wire back up to the cdi and see if it starts with the recoil start.This is the main kill wire to the ignition that goes to the left control switch and also the ignition switch!! If it doesn't crank(and since you say the cdi is new),then I would suspect a short in the left control switch or the wiring harness itself that goes to the control switch,plus could be a simple ignition switch short. Looks like you're narrowing it down. I would still check the pick up coil setting also.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know anything about the hub safety switch? Could that be my problem

Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Alright wheeler will start and run with the pull rope and will start and run if I unhook the black wire from the cdi box and use starter. Where do I go from here?
Still think either kill switch control wiring or the control assembly itself. Can you kill it with the either the ignition switch or left control switch when you recoil start it??

Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Know anything about the hub safety switch? Could that be my problem
Mentioned pulling the black wire from it several posts back! Item #32 Plus check out ALL the connections on the terminal board Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Yes can kill with either switch. I took kill switch control apart cleaned all contacts. Checked wiring, checked air gap. 020, wiggled connections at board to check tightness no noticeable corrosion

Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

So when I was unhooking the black wire didn't really know that the hub safety switch as my book calls it was the same as the reverse limiter. I was just going bye the black wire.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes can kill with either switch. I took kill switch control apart cleaned all contacts. Checked wiring, checked air gap. 020, wiggled connections at board to check tightness no noticeable corrosion
Can you electric start with the black wire from the cdi hooked up and the black wire from the reverse limiter unplugged now? Or can you just electric start with the black cdi kill wire disconnected?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Tried all black wires individualy and will electric start with all except one that runs to key switch. Fyi would intermittently start with all wires hooked up???????

Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Tried all black wires individualy and will electric start with all except one that runs to key switch. Fyi would intermittently start with all wires hooked up???????
Think you may have found the problem,the ignition switch black wire may be shorting out inside. I've even had cdi black kill wires that were the cause on several machines,had one guy just wanted to unplug the black wire and would choke the carb down rather than replace the cdi! Plus I've replaced a bunch of left control switches.The electric start and kill circuits both end up there. The ignition switch is the cheapest of the three and what I'd replace if you're sure of the left control switch and the cdi is an oem new one and not a used one from E bay!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

I have a cdi from ricks electronics installed right now after trying 2 used OEM from eBay. I'll check wiring to key switch and switch tomorrow. I've had enough for today

Quick Reply: I am stuck. 1997 sportsman wont stay running