Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Default Sportsman 700 faulty CDI?

It's a 2003 Sportsman 700. Friend of my dad's owns it and asked if I could take a look at it. Don't know anything else about it other than one day it just wouldn't start. I started with the simple stuff...replaced spark plugs and tried starting it with the black wire from the cdi disconnected but it still won't fire. I unhooked the solenoid ground (i think) by the battery as it was very rusty and cleaned everything up to shiny bare metal again. Battery is good as it turns over fast and all the lights and dash work. Not getting spark at either cylinder. It has the Ducati cdi which is very likely at fault but seeing how it's not my money to spend on the upgrade kit what can I do to isolate the problem and make sure it isn't something else before I buy the $500 upgrade ignition kit?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

Just get the #2202602 Kokusan replacement ignition kit! Don't even bother trying to fix the Ducati system as it won't hold up.Look at all the posts on the Ducati problems on the 600 and 700 atvs. Here's the pdf instructions and parts list on the kit. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...46751780,d.aWM
Whats right is whats left after you do everything else wrong (Robin Williams) RIP
Don't pick a fight with an old man,if he can't fight he'll just shoot ya!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

I had a feeling you'd say that. I noticed the instruction sheet didn't say anything about needing a puller to take the flywheel off. Is that correct?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

You can get a "loaner" harmonic balancer tool kit at most auto stores. But you need 3 (3 inch long) 8mm bolts for the flywheel if the puller kit doesn't have the metric bolts in it. OEM/Harmonic balancer puller kit (27019) | Harmonic Balancer Puller | AutoZone.com
Whats right is whats left after you do everything else wrong (Robin Williams) RIP
Don't pick a fight with an old man,if he can't fight he'll just shoot ya!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Tags
02, 2003, 700, cdi, check, faulty, location, polaris, regulator, sportsman, test, testing