Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OPT: Trailblazer 250 / Stator Testing / Wiring Diagram Interpretation

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPT: Trailblazer 250 / Stator Testing / Wiring Diagram Interpretation

Good Afternoon,

For those of you are have a good understanding of how to read a wiring diagram, would you please help me. I am trying to test my stator but I do not know exactly which wires I should be testing. I attached diagram for further explanation.

For example:
The diagram states test ohms from blk/red to red. There is no red wire coming from the coil?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

HoopD

Attached Thumbnails OPT: Trailblazer 250 / Stator Testing / Wiring Diagram Interpretation-250wiringdetails.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The capacitor charge coil test is the wires from the stator leading to the cdi,not the ignition coil! Red to Blk/Red wires should ohm out around 19 ohms,plus the red should zero to ground(no short to ground). The trigger coil from the stator,White to White/Red should ohm out at around 97 ohms. The ignition coil itself should have a Blue/White wire from the cdi. To test this coil,pull the coil wire and ohm the coil tab to ground. Should be around 0.3 ohms. The plug wire to the coil tab should read around 6.3K (6300 ohms) These readings are + or - 20%.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT for all you do for us on the forum, so to clarify when I take a multimeter and put it on the Ohms setting, if I put the red connector (positive) on any red wire (12v) and the black connector (negative) on stator lead blk/red it should read 19 ohms? Or is there a specific red wire I should be looking for on the diagram?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Not on ANY red wire,but should have a Red and Black/Red wire coming directly from the stator into the cdi! These two wires are the stator charge coil for ignition along with the trigger coil and NOT to be confused with the charging circuit of the stator that has Yellow wires leading to the regulator rectifier.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Not on ANY red wire,but should have a Red and Black/Red wire coming directly from the stator into the cdi! These two wires are the stator charge coil for ignition along with the trigger coil and NOT to be confused with the charging circuit of the stator that has Yellow wires leading to the regulator rectifier.
This is where my confusion is coming from because there is no red wire or red/white from the stator as needed for the test. Also on the attached diagram in post 1 it also doesn't show a red wire or whitw/red wire coming from the stator. Thanks again.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

See what you're saying now! Seems they lifted the stator test specs from another model. Let me see if I can down load this manual and take a closer look.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Looks like the exciter coil is the Brown/White to Black/Red from best I can tell. See what reading you show on this.White shows to ground to the stator plate and transition to brown(ground wires). The ignition coil test should be as the specs show in the box.Kinda squirrely on this next to last year model of the 250 2 strokes.Plus if you're not getting spark,pull the black wire from the cdi and also at the reverse limiter module and recheck.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

[PQUOTE=old polaris tech;3223002]Looks like the exciter coil is the Brown/White to Black/Red from best I can tell. See what reading you show on this.White shows to ground to the stator plate and transition to brown(ground wires). The ignition coil test should be as the specs show in the box.Kinda squirrely on this next to last year model of the 250 2 strokes.Plus if you're not getting spark,pull the black wire from the cdi and also at the reverse limiter module and recheck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for verifying that I wasn't going insane!

Old 11-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Nope you're not! Even though this is a Polaris manual,it's not right on the resistance checks. Someone didn't proof read this before it went to print.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

Looked at my old trusty Clymer's manual for Polaris ATVs up to 1998, and you are correct Brown/White to Black/Red should read out to 120 ohms on the 250 engine (Which thankfully mine did) Didn't occur to me to check that first, well hopefully this post clears confusion for anybody else coming across this.

Quick Reply: OPT: Trailblazer 250 / Stator Testing / Wiring Diagram Interpretation