Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

25 and 26 inch tires on a scrambler 500

Old 08-26-1999, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with jack....but on the other hand if you don't have the cash it is cheeper and less permanent to put sportsman sized wheels on a scrambler that it is to put scrambler power into a sportsman.

If you do have the cash buy i sportsman and make it look like Jack's and you'll be in good shape

Make sure you take some photos and post them for us before you scat those puppies up.

Chris P.
99 Scrambler 500 ( Sportsman Wanna be )

Old 08-26-1999, 10:40 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for all of the good comments it sure got me thinking. This is the way I see it. I sold my well modified 97 Sportsman500 that would easily run with a scrambler even though it had a winch on a big oxlite bumper and 26 vampires all around on chrome rims and a bunch of other goodies. Let's see I had $9500 in it and it was very quick but too big and heavy for the tight trails. It had so much power that it continually broke u-joints. I sold it to get the 99 scrambler 500 for the better suspension and tighter ride. BTW I paid in cash for all of my atvs and the goodies to go with them. It already would run very fast plus it ran real good through the woods. I do not ride motorcross or race other fourwheelers, I just go out and kick it a little on the open trails and cruise around with my friends. I think the Scrambler has plenty of power to turn the 25" bearclaws. The sidewalls should not be any taller than stock cause the tires are on the 12" rim so they will be low profile but bigger. It should look real good and handle much better. I am not talking about going into corners sideways and coming out with the front tires in the air that's too easy right now with the stock scrambler but with the new tires it might be harder. Heck I could always get my Sportsman500 sideways in every corner with new 26" vampires so it's not impossible. I loved the Sportman but I wanted something more sporty. I came from riding 300EXs and 250xs and 2 stroke dirt bikes before it. When I went out and rode with Banshees and warriors I could easily lead the pack and manhandle the big sportsman through the smoothier parts of the trails but the roots and tight trails would wear me out. So now I have what I want a mix between a 300ex and a sportsman 500. I am going to call a few more places just to make sure the tires fit without rubbing anything. The places I ride this setup seems to be perfect. I ride the woods and powerlines and the scrambler already has more than enough power for these trails. I just don't need go faster goodies and tire sizes made for two wheel drive sportquads all they do is spin. I have the performance, now I want the looks. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the comments, they really helped me make up my mind.

Later,

Steve

[This message has been edited by myscrambler (edited 08-26-1999).]

Old 08-27-1999, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Steve,

There is no doubt the Scrambler has the power to do it. But I think if you got in some thick mud, big hill without momentum, crossing logs, towing, hard starts, it would mess up the belt pretty bad. Like riding your Sportsman in high range when you should be in low.

Like I said, some poeple have done it claimed it works fine, but I still have my doubts. I wish I could put the sotck Sportsman tires/rims on my Scrambler for a test, but we have different rear bolt patterns.

I guess it comes down to are you willing to be a guinie (spelling?) pig.

Robert, I went with the same rear tires as you, I can't wait to get them. When Rox got stuck in that hole, all I remember is her letting up, then nailing it, and 20ft roost coming up off the back tires. That looked great, and I think we have it on video...

Adam Dowden

Old 08-30-1999, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

Adam, It looks like I am going to try it out. I just can't stop myself. I have a pretty good idea that this will work. I have some extra money right now and I need new tires so I guess I'll just go large!!! I will get pictures of this one and send them to ya. I still can't decide on a pipe. Maybe the FMF megamax II ?????

Later,

Steve

Old 08-31-1999, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

So far the only pipe I have heard people say a lot of good about is the HPD one, and then Chris P. like his Aaen too. Nobody I have talked to has even seen the FMF 500 pipe, I would be careful before trying somthing nobody else has. If you have the money though, and can afford a possible "dud" then why not! :-)

I can't wait to see the pictures and hear about how it works. I am still waiting on my tires to come in, maybe one day.....

Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by myscrambler
I am getting new tires and rims next week and I have been having a time trying to decide on which ones. I called down to Highlifter and talked to them for awhile about different combos that would work. We decided on 26X9X12 on the front and 25X12.5x12 on the back Bearclaws. He said he has had a couple people ordering this combo for the Scrambler 500. He said it would work real good. I think the stock tires on the scrambler look way too small anyways. Oh yeah, they will be on chrome rims and I think I might get the FMF megamaxII also. So what do y'all think? I know it could be a little bit more top heavy. Maybe the wider width might solve that problem. I would like to hear a few opinions before I get them. I will probably still get them because they will make the 99 Scrambler look tough as hell and give it alot more ground clearance. I will definately let you know how they perform first hand. If anybody has tried this tire size combo on the scrambler please let me know. Any other(not too loud)pipe suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve

I have low gear trans 24 vamps sportsman ebs clutch hot cam all mines does is tear rear hubs up bout one a month

Old 05-12-2015, 12:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My 350 Grizzly handles 26" Zillas easily and it does not have a low range period. I put that through some thick goo and up some steep trail hills.