Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Polaris 2015 line-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pretty impressed with the 2015 line up, and I'm having a difficult time deciding what to upgrade this year. We have four toys in the garage for our family, and I generally replace one each year to keep them current, that way the oldest is no more than four years old. This year I thought that if Polaris put the 900 motor in the 50" Rzr that I would get one of those. Or if Polaris put the 1000 motor in the Sportsman I would get one of those. Or if Polaris put the 570 motor in the Ace I would get one of those. Well they did all three, so now which one do I get?

I went to the dealer yesterday and looked around, and saw my first Ace in person, and had the chance to sit in it. It was only the 327cc Ace, but the Ace is out of the running. I thought that it was way way too small inside when you were sitting in it. My knees were only 1/2" from the dash, with the seat all the way back. No way that would work while bouncing down the trail. Even if they put the 570 in it, it just wouldn't work.

My Sportsman 850 XP gets used the least. I plow snow with it in the winter, but pretty much don't ride it in the summer because I'm always on one of the side by sides.

Our Renegade 1000 XXC is my wife's ATV, and she wont let me sell it, so I can't replace that.

Our Rzr 800 LE gets used the most. I should really replace it with a 50" Rzr 900

But, what I think I'll do is sell our Rzr XP 1000 and our Sportsman 850 XP, and get a Rzr 1000 XP Desert. That will move us down to three toys, which will work because we only have three family members at home now. My oldest son got married, had a son, and moved half way across the country.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Well if you are in the desert then that is probably a real good choice (desert edition rzr). That thing is beyond beautiful but the price is steeep at 30k

Old 08-01-2014, 05:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You can get a nice Jeep for under 30k with a 3,600cc V6 cylinder. rated at 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft torque.
Plus you can drive home after.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

I've got a nice Jeep, and its even the same color as in that photo. With the Dynatrac axles, suspension, tires, wheels, bumpers, and winch, it cost almost twice as much as the Desert version Rzr. A Rzr 1000 will still blow it away in the desert though. They're totally different kinds of vehicles, that serve different purposes. If you have a need for speed, the Jeep wont get you there.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like the RZR 1000 is a great choice for your situation. It's one of those vehicles that would almost make me move to the desert.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

Are the rzr 1000s really that fast? 110 crank HP for a 2k pound cvt/shaft driven-machine still seems a little low to me. Figure only about 70-75 hp actually makes it to the rear wheels. That's only about 26lbs for every 1 HP. Don't get me wrong, they look like an absolute blast to ride but I always thought they needed a 3-4 cylinder 200hp motor to be more competitive with the sport quads and dirt bikes

Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

The limiting factor on our Rzr 1000 is traction, not horsepower. In two wheel drive it just spins. Even at 50 mph, if you mash the go pedal it lights up the rear tires. You can run them in all wheel drive if you want, but its a bit more fun drifting the rear end to the outside of every turn in two wheel drive. Suspension is what makes the Rzr 1000 work so well in the desert. They can hang right with a dirt bike in the whoops, and they can absolutely blow away a sport quad. I'm sure sport quad owners wouldn't believe that, unless they've ran with a Rzr 1000. But I've owned both, and the Rzr 1000 is faster in the rough stuff. Drag race times, I'm not sure which is faster, but it really doesn't matter for most desert riding situations.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well I bought a Rzr 1000 Desert today. I got a better deal than I was expecting on the Trade in's, and got the Rzr for $26,800, which was pretty fair considering the dealer only gets two of these machines. Polaris hasn't given them a ship date yet, so it could be anywhere between two weeks and two months before they show up.

I spent some time talking to the service manager, and he seemed to know quite a bit about them. He says they made some significant changes to the engine this year (valves, cams, pistons, compression ratio, closed loop fuel injection, and clutching). On the dyno the changes made a 10 HP difference. But they also needed to put a catalytic converter on them to pass new EPA regulations. With the catalytic converter on the machine the HP gain on the dyno dropped to just a 3 HP gain over last years model. So just changing exhaust should free up some significant HP if someone was interested in that. I prefer quiet to HP, if its just a few HP difference though, so I’ll likely be keeping the stock system.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Anyone done a true comparison of the ride and handling of the new ACE Vs. Razor?

Really appears like the most complete machine till others started saying it has a small cab. I'm a big guy (still) with a bum knee, so IF the 570 is the same dimensions as the 327cc, than I guess I will have to wait to see.

And to think I finally found something I would trade up my Yamaha for? lol....lol

J/K

R'

Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Good to hear from you Rtick. It's been awhile.

Quick Reply: New Polaris 2015 line-up