Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Newbie with an oldie: 94 Sportsman 400

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's one massive extra battery kit mounted in a Razr.Dual Battery Installation - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net I've even see a few that just mounted one in the rear tool box,drilled holes for it. Don't know how well they worked out,but one idea.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, OPT, I do not know if the OP's 94 Sportsman 400 has what mine does,
but maybe....

My 04 Sportsman 400 has an interesting connector that splices a
bunch of hots and grounds together. I have not seen this on other ATVs,
and I have had all brands.

Here is a picture. I am trying to track down an electrical issue with the
trans gear readout on a new display.

What is the splice connector used for?

Attached Thumbnails Newbie with an oldie: 94 Sportsman 400-wiring.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Every harness is different from year to year.Plus depending on model some wires may or may not be used. Just like on cars. May use the same harness on one car model,but depending on what optional equipment is installed,they may not use all the connections and some may just dangle.Plus engineers are always thing of short cuts on electrical connections that cut down on wiring excess and weight which just give many techs fits if there's a problem..

Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, just thought I would update this since we've had a decent amount of snow fall yesterday and I was able to get out a plow some more.

I installed chains on the rear wheels and this thing is a beast. I still need to replace/rebuild the front hub (found some cheap used parts on eBay so I might give that a show before dumping $300 into new parts) and figure out why the 4wd isn't engaging all the time, plus the shifter needs adjusting for reverse to stay engaged, but I won't sweat the small stuff. This thing pushed a good 7-8" of snow without a problem. I have another 6-7" to clear after work today.

On the battery topic, I just ordered a new battery this weekend. I decided to try out the LiPo batteries on the market. I ordered this one here: SSTX12Q-FP Scorpion Stinger LiFePo4 Quad Terminal Extreme High Output Battery. I got the dual terminal battery so I can hook the stock systems up to one side and then put my add on items on the other side. So far I only have the winch but I'd like to put lights on it (likely for next year now since Winter is hopefully coming to an end soon) with a couple of amber/white strobes, and upgrade the head lamps with some LED units for better output. I might even throw a salter spread on the back for next year Would make things awful nice if that can happen...

I'm really excited to see how much better it works. The battery on the quad now won't even turn it over most days, and if it does, it's not long enough to fire. It operates the winch fine for the plow, and the lights aren't dim by any means, but trying to use both lights and the winch wound up killing the battery last time I had to plow. Once I get the new one, I'm going to get the quad running and see how much it's actually putting out from the rectifier. I read excellent reviews on these LiPo batteries, mostly pertaining to motorcycle guys but I don't see why it won't be an awesome upgrade. I'll post an update for that once it gets some use.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess it's been awhile since I've posted on here! Yikes. The quad is pretty much the same as I left off here. Quad is still a beast at plowing, even with 3wd (still haven't gotten around to tearing down the hub again) but with 4 chains, it'll move some snow. I just hate having to rely on the chains because I don't wanna tear up the sidewalks/driveways. But for not it has to do.

My LiPo battery is showing signs of weakness already which is likely because I've failed to keep a maintainer on it. Though I am getting one for xmas so that will solve the problem. I may start popping the battery out each time I use it to plow and throw it on an overnight charge. The winch for the plow really takes a toll on it after about 30 minutes of moving snow up and down and up and down. Not sure how to rectify that but I'm sure these mid/90's machines we're meant to keep a battery topped off with constant draws from a winch every 15 seconds or so. I wonder if 2 batteries in parallel would help by giving me a little more capacity to keep the winch from dimming all of the lights out on me when I'm getting towards the end of the shift. I'm not sure I could find room for a full size deep cycle battery on this thing, but crazier things have been done.

Anyway, my latest issue that's cropped over the last year is the damn gear shift linkage. It doesn't want to stay in reverse so I'm going to have a look at that tonight and hope I can adjust it to quit popping out on me. Before I know it, whatever it grinds against is going to be rounded over and that sounds more expensive to fix. No problems staying in forward gears, just reverse so I'm not sure if it's the different torque of the engine tweaking the angles or something and maybe causing it to do so. Either way, going to have a look at that tonight and see if I can't locate the busted wire to the front left hub. I know it needs a seal also, but I need to get the wire fixed up too and see if I can get voltage to the hub for the 3 wheel drive to kick back to 4wd.

I'll try to keep updated again once I make a little progress. Any tips are always appreciated!

Old 12-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Reverse is gear to gear and usually not a problem,forward range,low and high are silent chain to gear drive. Remove the linkage arms to the shifter box,get the machine in neutral even if you have to use vice grips on the gear case belcranks. Plus check how much slack back and forth you have on the shifter when in neutral as that's usually the problem area.While in neutral adjust the linkage ends to where they fall straight in to the shift box levers with no pulling and tighten the lock nuts. This may help on shifting awhile.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Only 2wd in reverse

Well, im sorry to bring up an old thread, but i was searching to learn why in reverse my machine won't engage in 4wd...then I came across this thread....i just purchased this VERY same machine from untouchable...thank you..i am happy with the quad...i do need to download the manual though...great thread, and a ton of information just on this thread...now to figure out why it only backs up in 2wd....

Old 12-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey!! Great to hear!! I was stunned when I saw this thread pop up in my email, and even more shocked its YOU! LOL - Great machine. I actually just finished plowing with the truck for the first go around. Much warmer inside the cab. Enjoy the quad! And pay attention to what old polaris tech has to offer. He's a wealth of knowledge around here!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by unt0uchable
Hey!! Great to hear!! I was stunned when I saw this thread pop up in my email, and even more shocked its YOU! LOL - Great machine. I actually just finished plowing with the truck for the first go around. Much warmer inside the cab. Enjoy the quad! And pay attention to what old polaris tech has to offer. He's a wealth of knowledge around here!
yeah for sure, It is a beast...i couldn't be happier...thanks again....now only 2wd in reverse? Was there something I'm missing?am I supposed to push something?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabman1971
Well, im sorry to bring up an old thread, but i was searching to learn why in reverse my machine won't engage in 4wd...then I came across this thread....i just purchased this VERY same machine from untouchable...thank you..i am happy with the quad...i do need to download the manual though...great thread, and a ton of information just on this thread...now to figure out why it only backs up in 2wd....
Are you holding the reverse override button in? It should be a yellow button on the left handlebar. If it works you'll have 4x4 and full power without it limiting.

Quick Reply: Newbie with an oldie: 94 Sportsman 400