Old 10-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 polaris sportsman 700 Timing/DrivenClutch

Morning,
I am new to the sight old to the sport.
I have two question: Can anyone help?
a little bit about the machine: 02 sportsman 700 4x4
Just bought this machine not running having trouble getting it to start.150 psi on both cyl...and good spark it is not cranking over right it is like the motor is hydro locking as it cranks (binding) with plugs in no plugs it spins normal.

1, anyone know how to time or check the timing on a 700 twin motor?

2, Machine not engaging... Driven clutch spins freely removed the clutch and shaft also is spinning freely no mater what position the shift lever is in.

any ideas would be great
thanks Jeff

Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hopefully addressed the most common electrical problem on the 700 in your other post. If gear positions wont engage,then possible internal gear case problems or could be a shift quadrant problem behind cover plate #3. (Item 4-8 61-64.) Plus may have a problem on the lock out part #57. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 10-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris sportsman 700 timing

Sorry for the delay...went up north for a long weekend.
Thanks for the reply hope that's not what's up with it$$$. last owner said it had not run in a while but when I pulled the carb it looked pretty clean for two years. It sounds like it wants to start but it I only get a couple good cranks and it binds up ??? then I turn the key off and on again and try again. can a bad starter or bendix cause that? I think I may have been Dupped with this machine looks like a brand new drive clutch and belt but when I took it off that is when I noticed the driven shaft spins free I am not very familiar with this type of drive I am hoping the trany is not junk.
Jeff

Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just take the front rack off,pop the front panel and if it has the Ducati combo cdi/coil pack,I'm pretty sure this is the problem on starting. Just do a simple google search on Sportsman 700 electrical problems and you'll see what I mean. Yes it can be a starter or bendix problem if the engine fails to turn over,or even simply a battery problem.You can pull the right side cover,check the starter bendi,plus yoy can even wiggle it out and try the starter with no load on it to see if it spins ok..Plus 700s were bad on intake manifolds cracking under the carb clamp also that can cause problems.Just eliminate these first as the problem area. But I've just seen way too many and installed too many ignition update kits to just over look this faulty electrical system.Anyone says that they have a 2002 to early 2004 carb model 700 that has starting problems,I immediately think Ducati. Plus it may be a simple problem on the gear quadrant shifting especially if water has corroded every thing behind cover #3 on the parts link I posted. From the factory they're sealed with grease.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris sportsman 700 timing

Thanks for the reply,
I will get back into this over the next couple of days. And yes I did fine the intake cracked behind the carb. Did a quality fix until I can order a new one. It did look like it was swamped and put away wet.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris 700

Gee I wish I had have read all this before falling into the 2002 Polaris trap. Same deal hard to turn over so can some one tell me where I can get this Kokusan kit for said 700. Thanks guys Im in Australia.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray Eyers
Gee I wish I had have read all this before falling into the 2002 Polaris trap. Same deal hard to turn over so can some one tell me where I can get this Kokusan kit for said 700. Thanks guys Im in Australia.
HI Im in Australia (Perth) and got hold of a 2002 700 with a dead Ducati module. I found one and got it going, but today I replaced the AC system with a DC system fro RM Stator (I got it over from Canada, took around 5 days to get here.). Runs like a dream. Just doing it up as a fishing bike.

I might be able to help out. The 700 is a great bike if you replace the Ducati ignition.

Here is a video (Part 1) of me pulling it apart.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris 700 Woes

Originally Posted by JJAdv
HI Im in Australia (Perth) and got hold of a 2002 700 with a dead Ducati module. I found one and got it going, but today I replaced the AC system with a DC system fro RM Stator (I got it over from Canada, took around 5 days to get here.). Runs like a dream. Just doing it up as a fishing bike.

I might be able to help out. The 700 is a great bike if you replace the Ducati ignition.

Here is a video (Part 1) of me pulling it apart.

https://youtu.be/8KAgaHU2mSw
Hi Ya mate thanks for your reply. The Bike was running i never really rode it it's only got 109 hrs on it. I now know why, It would hardly ever start and if it didn't go first up it would just load up like way advanced. I had a look at the yankee forums and some sugggest changing bits but one chap says replace the whole electrics to this Kokoshan job.saying if something else let go your back where you started , you can get em from the States for around a grand our money. Bikes in bits and flywheels of , not sure which way to go now. Rather work on a truck Ray.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an upgrade that replaces the stator and the flywheel. I just used the RM Stator version that replaced all but the stator, fly wheel and the pick up coil. Works a treat.