Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help if u guys can figure this one out

Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help if u guys can figure this one out

check this post i started it and it will give u an idea of whats going on with my machine,
I would really appreciate any and all help.
Battery issues any help? - Polaris ATV Forum
THANK YOU
RUBEN

Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Trying to under stand what all you've done,but the resistance you posted(110 ohms) on the stator is within 20% + or - resistance allowed. Stator sends ac volts to the regulator rectifier which changes it to dc volts. From what I'm under standing you replaced the stator or parts of it? Plus if the regulator isn't charging at least 14 volts,then could just be a regulator problem. You can test the yellow wires from the stator that go to the regulator. NO wire should zero out to each other or ground. If any yellow wire does,then the charging section of the stator is bad. If they check out,then I'd replace the regulator. Plus don't overlook the battery itself even if it is a new one. Load test it to see if it is ok. Put a period every now and then and catch your breath when posting..

Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

okay so the 110 ohms is on the exciter coil which that part is fine .which is where i got the 110 ohms , it is the charging coil or "lighting coil" that isnt ohming out im getting 1.3-1.4 ohms. and thats a lot more resistance than the +-20% allowed on the .25-.35. and i havent replaced the stator or any parts of it. all i got was 13.4 volts and that was revving my machine to around 4000 - 5000 rpms it is my understanding that if i dont reach 13.8 volts then it is the stator, is this correct? furthermore i was also told that anything over 13 volts the regulator is fine, is this also correct? okay now to the part of testing the regulator how do i do that because the wires actually plug into a terminal board. so how do i test them? a step by step would be great although i do have some knowledge on what i am doing.
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 11-24-2014, 12:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One last test the manual shows is the ac test from the stator. Set your meter to ac amperage,connect the red lead into the 10 amp jack,test leads on the two yellow wires from the stator. Crank it up and at an idle you should be showing around 5 amps. No need to increase throttle. If it shows less than this,then possible it's a stator problem. If it shows ok,then I'd assume the regulator if it's not charging at least 14 volts back to the battery.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

okay great thanks is there any reason why my machine would start only through the pull rope and not through the starter (this is my whole problem)would this be because of the voltage regulator or because of the stator.in addition is that correct or not the 2 parts about stator and voltaage regulator in post #3 also at idle i am only getting 12.65 volts i was told that it should be at least 13 volts if not then bad stator
thanks
ruben

Old 11-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whenever I go to that Polaris forum it sets off alarms on McAfee SiteAdvisor so I don't go there anymore. I don't know what the problem is with that site. Is anyone having problems with the site?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the starter can't turn the engine over fast enough is one reason. On stators with external pick up coils,if distance is off on the pick up coil to the flywheel,electric start can be hard,but can pull start like this poster had.no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community On your model the internal exciter coil handles this. The exciter can ohm out ok,as you said yours has,but if the exciter or inside of the flywheel is dirty,this could be one reason why it will only recoil start also.Electric start may not be able to turn it over with enough force as the recoil start can. Something you might check if you haven't been into the stator area. You need a good harmonic balance puller or steering wheel puller to remove the flywheel.Exciter is #5 on the parts breakdown.
Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Whenever I go to that Polaris forum it sets off alarms on McAfee SiteAdvisor so I don't go there anymore. I don't know what the problem is with that site. Is anyone having problems with the site?
I've had the same thing with Avast,shows that it has a bad rating? But I can still check this site out. Malwarebytes hasn't kicked up anything about it.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

no i know all of that OPT and i have dug into the stator and have had the flywheel off a few times in just this last week , so u think that the recoil starter has more force than the starter hmm....... u might be right and trust me when i tell u that it isnt dirty u could eat off of my flywheel and stator.
THANKS
RUBEN
p.s. now do i check the yellow lines while there plugged into the terminal board

Old 11-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The wires from the stator need to be pulled off the circuit board for any test.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help if u guys can figure this one out