Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Return Voyage? 08 Scrambler Belt Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return Voyage? 08 Scrambler Belt Noise?

Well its been about 4 years since we last spoke. My old 00 Scrambler was tired, I sold it and bought a Renegade 800. Didnt keep it for very long, too bulky, I went back to motorcycles. FWD to now. My buddies are talkin quads again. I really enjoyed my Scrambler, more than the Renegade or Sportsman!! So now I'm out lookin at Scrammy's.

A few days ago I go look at an 2008. Clean Title, It is like new; GLOSSY plastics, NO scuffs or scrapes underneath, A arms look new, all decals look new, OEM tires hardly worn. I asked if he would accept $2800 if it checks out? He's OK with the offer so off I go on a test ride.

I hit the gas and shes off, felt good, like the old days. Then I let off throttle, chirp chirp slap, chirp chirp slap, chirp squeek slap coming from under CVT cover. Every time I released the throttle, same thing slow or fast. I promptly returned to his home & informed him somthing was wrong & I was uncomfortable test riding any further. He told me he had just had the belt replaced at last service? I never heard this from any of my CVT's before, maybe a rare slp on the cover. Short of pulling the cover in the snow & rain, didnt know what to do so I split to look at Raptor 700s.

Today I get a text, Need $$ for medical bills, can you do $2000? Now at $2800 I would run, but for $2000, how bad can it be??? It has been very cold here, 15F low & 25F hi. Would a new belt thats cold, possibly still molded to the belts packaging, make those noises? Why would a LOW hour scrambler need a new belt? Got it Stuck, smoked the belt, rubber on sheaves?

Any input? This price turns into a Pumpkin soon & I wouldnt want to miss the Ball!!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be something simple as belt slap as you say,a cover problem,etc. Owner may or not be telling the truth on repairs,condition of the machine,but any time someones eager to drop the price 800 bucks I'd be a little leery. Granted if it even needed both clutches and a new belt you can get them fairly cheap,it's any other problem that he might be hiding that would worry me. He suddenly went from top asking price on one in excellent shape to the price what a dealer would give in trade in most cases.Kelley Blue Book If you have time try it again and see if it could be a good deal especially if the condition is good.A simple motor mount can cause engines to flex and belts to slap.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think for $2k it would be worth it. you could always pop off the clutch cover and take a look. it the belt was the issue you would see where it was hitting the cover. It could have been a burnt belt if they stuck or hauling something they shouldn't have where their is no low range and smoked the belt in the process.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ended up walking away. The title was NOT in his name and dated 8 months before. The clutch noise plus I never mentioned it wobbled like a bent axle. I'll be back soon though. I put a wanted ad on C/L, something will pop up.. years ago I had a buddy buy a motorcycle out of idaho with an old title. When he went to transfer ownership, it came back with a lien on it. Ended up having to buy a frame from ebay. Cost was way more than the value of the PW80... Anyone have any thoughts on the 2010-2012 Scramblers?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best choice you could have made to walk on this one. A lot of people came into the shop that bough atvs from Ebay,etc and had them shipped only to find they were junk. At least you were able to ride this one,plus never buy one that the title has been passed around and not in the current owners name.Always ask about a clear title before you even throw a leg over one.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

up here we do not have titles so that's never a hassle, but sometimes it handy to stop fraud. glad you made the right choice on passing.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the support. I put a wanted ad up on the local craigslist. Will see what pops up. Hopefully a mint 2006 in ORANGE!

Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh Baby!! I Just got back from Bend, Or(900mi round trip 4 me)w/a cherry 08 Scrambler. OE factory tires look new. $2750. Poor thing won't know what hit it. In honor of my new toy and your kind words I will now start a new "whats the best oil thread"

Old 12-17-2014, 06:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Scrambalicious
Oh Baby!! I Just got back from Bend, Or(900mi round trip 4 me)w/a cherry 08 Scrambler. OE factory tires look new. $2750. Poor thing won't know what hit it. In honor of my new toy and your kind words I will now start a new "whats the best oil thread"
Congrats on the new quad,BUT oh gawd,not another oil thread.. Get one of these http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2008-Po...ce-Manual.html or a hard cover.