Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

330 Magnum fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330 Magnum fluid change

Just trying to change my front diff with demand drive fluid but I cant find the nut to add the new fluid. Looked for over an hour. The only thing I saw that looked like a possible place to add it was a large allen screw. Is this correct or am I still missing it?
Also. Looked all over and couldn't find where the drain nut is for the transmission or the place to add it. It must be hidden on this model or im blind.
Can anyone please offer any help. This should have been a simple job. Or I thought.
Thanks very much in advance.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know what year model you have,but yes the hex plug #14 is the fill plug,drain plug #18. Plus drain plug is a small 7/16" plug. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks very much but you mentioned two different drain plugs, #18? and 7/16" Im not sure what you are referring to? Is there two drains on the front area?
Do you know what I need to buy as far as size allen wrench for that front plug? Im not familiar with any of this.
This is a 2003 Magnum 4x4

Old 11-27-2014, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer
Default Study the diagram!

No he didn't mention 2 drain plugs. What kind of simple device would have 2 drain plugs??? Think about it. While ur at it, think about removing the fill plug first, if you drain it first and then can't get the fill plug off ur screwed. U could also help ur self and get a service manual for all this - it has pics, diagrams and all the instructions to get this done right. Luck!

Old 11-27-2014, 05:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a service manual but it is incorrect. It shows a completely different style nut on the front diff fill point It shows a hex nut while now I know its actually a allan style head set screw.
I didn't understand what he meant by #18. I would love to know what size set screw this is as I have to go buy the tool to do this job and just want to get the right tool the first time. That's all!The manual also shows no information or diagram on where exactly the fill and drain are for the transmission. The manual is actually really pathetic.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Gasket
I have a service manual but it is incorrect. It shows a completely different style nut on the front diff fill point It shows a hex nut while now I know its actually a allan style head set screw.
I didn't understand what he meant by #18. I would love to know what size set screw this is as I have to go buy the tool to do this job and just want to get the right tool the first time. That's all!The manual also shows no information or diagram on where exactly the fill and drain are for the transmission. The manual is actually really pathetic.
Sometimes manuals overlap from one style fill plug to another on front diffs. The older diffs have a 9/16" fill plug at the rear of the dif that you fill to the bottom of the threads. Usually around 4 ounces is all that I could get into them. The drain plugs on both the top nut and side hex socket style fill are the same 7/16" small drain bolts. Fill plug allen hex needed is an 8 mm/ 5/16" best I can remember.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

That's perfect. Thanks so much for your help. Im thinking I have the 5/16 allen but will have to check.
Thanks again!
Would the fill area for the transmission be near where your right foot would be or on the left or (port side) foot area? The transmission is the next thing I will have to attempt changing.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most diff fill plugs are on the left side,but some early ones are on the right.Ones on the left are somewhat hard to see and get to because of the radiator shroud,but a long allen socket or a short one with an extension can get to it. Gear case fill is through a 9/16" plug on the right top side,drain is another small 7/16" plug on the front lower portion of the gear case in between the case bolts. Just feel under this area and you'll find it.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks very much. At first I got a little worried when I drained what I had hoped was my oil, removed the old oil fliter and then added new oil. I wasn't sure if I was draining tranny oil or engine oil at first but it was black somewhat dirty so I guessed right. I thought there was a dip stick for the tranny lube but I never found one so I suppose they never included it on the 330.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Fill the gear case to the bottom of the plug threads with Polaris agl or suitable chain driven gear case oil. Yep no dip stick on this model.

Quick Reply: 330 Magnum fluid change