Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

voltage regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i think i found my culprit it would seem as my voltage regulator is bad/ going bad so this morning i switched out plugs with a brand new one and this time i gaped it to specs the .70 mm and put it on right and went to fire her up and no dice so i ended up pull starting her so i went and did all my chores on my farm right, and when i pulled into my garage i said to myself let me get my multimeter out and check again to see if i can figure it out so then i pulled my manual out and started to read it right and under voltage regulator there is a test, it said for me to put my multimeter in the 25 dc range and connect my black lead to a known good ground and then take my red lead and connect that to the red wire that comes from the voltage regulator and it says that anything below 13 or above 14.8 then it is bad and it said to not accelerate the machine anymore than necessary to get your readings and i had to nearly redline her to get 12. something and it never did get over 13 so im going to have to say that that is my problem. what do u guys think?
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You mentioned it got to 14+ volts at the battery with regulator hooked up? Do an AC test to eliminate the stator as a problem. Turn meter to AC amps, red lead to 10 amp input,both leads to the yellow and yellow/red wires. Start the engine,at an idle ONLY it should show a minimum of 5 amps. If the stator checks out ok and you want to try a regulator,here's a cheap one for $25. Old part#4060087 (4060193 new #) Rectifier Regulator Fits Polaris ATV 4060193 4060087 New | eBay
Plus if you haven't already pulled the black wire from the limiter module (located to left of the reg/rectifier) do this and see if it still runs the same.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

no now here's the thing with that i did try the ac amperage test but i think my multimeter is messed up as far as that goes because the last time I tried to check my battery i accidentally had it set for ac amperage check and now when I try to do a test i get sparks from one of the leads and the most i get is .03 that can't be right can it ? I mean especially since I just bought a brand new oem stator .oh and the black wire from the rev limiter has been unplugged.
Thanks
RUBEN

Old 12-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then I'd spring for the 25 buck regulator and see if it charges ok and has anything to do with the running conditions you've been having.If it doesn't then you can eliminate a regulator.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Range Rover

yeah i agree opt i guess i will have to spend the 25 on a regulator but r u with me on it not being my stator since i just bought it brand new or do u think it could still be it
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 12-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'm with you on the new stator as probably being okay.. Unless you get another meter and test the ac amperage to make double sure. Cheapest thing at this point is the regulator and that's what I'd replace. Again I may be wrong on this,it should solve any charging problem you have,but not sure as to the power loss you complain about as it warms up. I've just seen so many two strokes start to loose compression when hot and either run like crap or die until they cool off again.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

low compression when hot will lose all kinds of power and sometimes be very hard to start until it cools down.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Range Rover

0k well it would seem that my problem is gone so 3 days ago which is sunday morning i decided to put a new plug in my machine and when i did so i also decided to unplug all of all my trail tech vapor wires from my machine. and i threw the battery on the charge over night well needless to say my machine has not backfired since sunday morning meaning that was the last time that she did so and shes firing right up. so i have ordered a new voltage regulator anyway new is new right.
BUT I AM PLEASED
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 12-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Infested with Gremlins or simply needed a new spark plug or Trail Tech speedo may have had something to do with it? If it's running okay now,I'd still check charging to see if it's ok. May not need the regulator if it is.. Plus if it starts back firing again,I'd still check compression.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

that's 4 sure OPT the gremlin part, and i think so too that all it needed was a spark plug and i will continue to monitor the charging system as well and i will definitely check the compression if it starts to backfire again
THANKS AGAIN 4 All YOUR HELP
RUBEN

Quick Reply: voltage regulator question