Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

voltage regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage regulator question

yes but it would seem i spoke to soon when i said my machine was running smoothly, now would a faulty or going bad regulator cause my atv to backfire furthermore would it cause it to lose power say im going down the road right and giving her gas and then all of sudden it loses power and acts like it is going to shut off.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

Old 12-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not really as it would run out of fire if the charging system wasn't working and the battery would be completely dead! sounds more like it is a lean condition from lack of fuel.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by stendori
not really as it would run out of fire if the charging system wasn't working and the battery would be completely dead! sounds more like it is a lean condition from lack of fuel.
it only backfires when i start it up though. and as far as it being lean the carburetor is up to specs and i have never really messed with it other than the normal cleaning hear and there. also the battery feels like it is going dead it isnt completely dead but i can feel it it doesnt have the umph that it did after putting it on the charger. also i know it isnt a lack of fuel because i have done everything to check that part out meaning i have used the clear line to make sure that there was fuel in the line when she does act like she going to turn off and when she has shut off
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT
RUBEN

Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What about a compression test? Have you checked it when it acts up?

Old 12-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

best way to check for a lean condition is looking at the spark plug, but by the sounds it is not a fuel issue. take a tester and check the voltage to battery when it is acting up and see what it reads. I'm guessing it would be fairly low to make it run out of electrical power which will make a bike shut down. this w=usually would happen w/ EFI models more then a carb as the efi needs power to run the pump. as otp mentioned check the compression as a lack of enough compression it could make it have lack of power and back fire. just a thought.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

compression is t tip top as i just replace rings and top end gasket not even 2 months ago im guessing the lack of power was from fuel shortage as i topped it off this morning and it hasnt done that anymore but im still getting the back fire thing when i go to start it up.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Regulator shouldn't cause the back firing as this model still has the magneto triggered ignition and the battery(maintained by the regulator) is mainly for the starter,lights and fan. They can pull start on a dead battery. If it's back firing when you crank it up,stator timing could be off if it's been messed with or possible that you still have a carb problem such as float setting too high that may be allowing fuel into the cylinder when not running and back firing because of too much fuel. Try shutting the fuel valve off after you're through riding and see if this helps on the back firing in the morning.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Range Rover

okay OPT i will give it a shot

Old 12-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Range Rover

okay well yesterday i decided to pull out my multimeter and check the stator again because it is backfiring like something fierce. so i checked the battery with my machine running and i got anywhere from 12.85- 14.85 as i accelerated my machine so i would have to say the stator doing its job but i read and people keep telling me that it should be at least 13 volts when my machine is at idle is this correct or not. idk and it would seem as i spoke to soon the other day as well as it is continuing to do the loss of power thing.
Thanks in Advance
RUBEN

Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Charging sounds about right as you do have to increase throttle on these older machines to get to the top charging rate. At an idle many charge a little under 13 volts. If you get an erratic charging rate while holding at a steady high throttle,then I'd say yes,you could have a regulator problem. I'd still check compression when cold,then check again when you have the power loss. You posted on replacing rings,but if you just used the stock piston that was in it,you may have too much clearance. May or may not be your problem,but I've seen many that have done this and the engines run fine when cold,but as the engine warms up,cylinders expand and rings can loose their seal and compression drops causing loss of power.

Quick Reply: voltage regulator question