Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Xplorer 400 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Xplorer 400 Exhaust

Since we haven't had much snow lately, my Xplorer has been sitting taking up room at my shop so I have been tinkering with it. I just put a new set of rear tires on it, put new solenoids in the winch and did both inner and outer tie rods. The one thing on this machine that is a little annoying is the rattles. Not a huge rattle, just from the front exhaust pipe where it sounds like the springs vibrating. The exhaust isn't loud, it just rattles. When I first bought the machine, the clutch cover rattled like they all do so when I changed the belt, I adjusted it and tweaked it a bit and now it is completely quiet. The front exhaust pipe is another story. The springs all look good, but do they lose tension after time? Is there a gasket that goes into the joint where the pipe meets the muffler? I seen an exhaust gasket for sale on amazon for the exhaust on my machine but in all the parts breakdowns on my Xplorer, it doesn't show one.

Any help would be appreciated! This machine is very nice to drive and for a 96, it is in very good shape and the only thing that makes noise is the exhaust. Its been bulletproof and a good work horse so if I can fix this, it would be great.

Mike

Old 12-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Most of the problem is the "bell" shape at the joint wears down over the years. Malcolm Smith products had the best pipe wrap years ago,but no longer available. I used this stuff a lot on 2 strokes. Just peel a strip off and stretch it around the pipe,cram it in,install the springs and once heated up it would swell and seal better than anything on the market. Just check around,plus several things that may seal and reduce metal on metal wear.
Amazon.com: Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer, 3 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer, 3 oz.: Automotive

Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT!

I think I'm going to try the Permatex muffler and tailpipe putty to see if that helps.

Mike

Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

You might try this too. I know it works between the exhaust pipe and muffler but not sure if it is heat resistant enough for the cylinder nipple to the exhaust pipe.

Amazon.com: Permatex 81878  Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3 oz. Tube: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3 oz. Tube: Automotive