Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 Polaris X2 500 efi starts and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Polaris X2 500 efi starts and stalls

Hi everyone, I have been searching for about a week now for this answer and cannot find anyone who has fixed their Polaris with a issue like mine. My ATV will start up almost instantly and idle for about 3sec. then it will stall out. sometimes I can feather the throttle and it will run and most of the time it acts like I just flooded it and it stalls. I am pulling my hair out with this machine. I purchased it new in 06 and have replaced 3 fuel pumps and both computers and I only have 200 miles on this thing. I checked for codes and found 42 and 47. I have reset the codes and restarted the machine and found the same two codes again. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. The closest dealer is over 120 miles away.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

has the tbap harness been replaced yet (see if wires are colored factory) also I would put a fuel pressure guage on it, not only check fuel pressure but after it has fuel pressure see if it bleeds down after you turn key off it should not if it does it could be the regulator, if it doesent have 39 psi to start with plus or minus 3 it could be pump or regulator. pull plugs see what they look like. more than likely its a electrical problem.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

No this is all factory, I have read about the wiring issues that these have and visited OTB wiring but none of theirs says it is for a code 47. So I was not sure if I needed that. Also I thought the fuel pressure did bleed off after the key was off. Isn't that why it runs again when you turn the key back on?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Spark plug looked normal just a little wet. OTB's tbap harness says it is for all twin cylinders. Mine is a single cylinder. Do you know were I can find one for it?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

Look up map harness on the 500 it doesn't have tbap. Also check battery and conditions and air filter. I always think of air fuel and spark your not getting one of 3 right.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Battery is brand new and good, air fliter is clean.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

The other thing I have noticed is that after I get it to run for a few minutes when it does stall out it backfires through the intake. Any thought on that?

Old 01-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

2876315 try this Polaris part number
backfiring is all related to issue, if it were me I would go ahead and replace that harness it needs to be done regardless imo, and check the fuel pressure, you can also check for air leaks around intake, get it running rev it up to a constant speed lower the better if possible and spray carb cleaner all around intake to see if it raises the idle.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by flkeysff
The other thing I have noticed is that after I get it to run for a few minutes when it does stall out it backfires through the intake. Any thought on that?
Everything you've listed points a red flag at the tbap wiring or connector. Codes may not always be accurate,but the way it runs usually is. Hard to start,back firing,erratic idle usually point to a tbap wiring problem in most cases.Pull up on the wiring and check for any bare or soft feeling wires on the tbap wiring running down into the main harness.Sometimes you can even feel a change in idle or can cause backfiring when you jiggle the wires.If the wires feel ok,no open breaks,the connector can still be at fault. Tbap repair kit is the first thing I'd get at Only The Best Other areas to check is the crank sensor harness wiring and connector that run under the throttle body. Have had some rub against the starter causing a bare wire to occasionally touch,but usually kill the engine. Wish I had the OTB kits when I was changing all the tbap wiring kits from Polaris. Same thin crappy wiring and connectors that would fail again.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Everything you've listed points a red flag at the tbap wiring or connector. Codes may not always be accurate,but the way it runs usually is. Hard to start,back firing,erratic idle usually point to a tbap wiring problem in most cases.Pull up on the wiring and check for any bare or soft feeling wires on the tbap wiring running down into the main harness.Sometimes you can even feel a change in idle or can cause backfiring when you jiggle the wires.If the wires feel ok,no open breaks,the connector can still be at fault. Tbap repair kit is the first thing I'd get at Only The Best Other areas to check is the crank sensor harness wiring and connector that run under the throttle body. Have had some rub against the starter causing a bare wire to occasionally touch,but usually kill the engine. Wish I had the OTB kits when I was changing all the tbap wiring kits from Polaris. Same thin crappy wiring and connectors that would fail again.
Mine is a single cylinder 500cc and OTB states the tbap kit is only for dual cylinders

Quick Reply: 06 Polaris X2 500 efi starts and stalls