Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2009 550 XP Power Steering/Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtpockets
With all the electricity these new ATVs require, I would be damn scared to be running a 6 year old little motorcycle battery in the frigid winter.

Rule of thumb with street bikes is to change the battery every 3 years!

I would start with a fresh battery and bet all will be well.
How can you be so positive to suggest that with it testing out okay on all fronts? I apologize if this comes off the wrong way, but if get a new battery and it's not fixed, how will make good on your bet?

To me, it seems as though the battery is good with doing an extended load test. Testing it prior to starting, while starting and running. I'd love to think you are right...but I have so many tests to prove that the battery is still okay.

To update further on riding...took it out yesterday and played in a long, deep snow driven ditch. Did so for about 10 minutes before not quite being able to make it up the ditch so I put it in reverse and backed down a few feet and the PS light came on, for the first time the check engine light came on, put it in Low, drove forward and all lights were out in less than 10 seconds. Continued to get the machine caked with snow for another 15 minutes and left it parked outside for an hour in 6 degrees. Went back out in an hour and the steering wasn't frozen. Just trying all different scenarios so I can try to pinpoint what really causes the issue. Found it interesting that with it so covered in so I couldn't even see the PS box and sitting outside it didn't lock up. Fired up in less than two cranks and backed it into the garage.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that the electronic power steering is a non-serviceable item. When it fails you have to replace it. Better have money in the checkbook if that's the case. LOL!

How many years do you think big heavy car batteries last?

How many years do you think you should get out of the little motorcycle battery?

Just curious what your thoughts are on this.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

The average is 3 years, and I double the average. Remember, an average is adding the highest and lowest, so you can say I am on the high side, thus increasing the averaging life batteries tend to last. (I am sure that sounds condescending but you asked how how long one should last).

Having owned many vehicles for 7+ years (wife, etc) I have only replaced one and it was on a 2001 Honda Civic, replaced it in 2012 w/ 235,000 miles on it (and the shop did it when he thought that would fix the issue we were having, which it didn't and another shop figured out the problem which wasn't related to the battery). So I think it's fair to say I get good use out of my batteries and take care of my equipment. Owned a motorcycle for 5 years on the original battery when I sold it as well. Battery Tenders are always on my equipment (except cars which are used daily). Own a lawn mower that is an 07 and has the original Grasshopper mower battery in it as well.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought car batteries were only good for 6 years but I got 10-11 out mine. Whatever GM uses must be better than average. I have the 7 year old original battery in my quad and it still works fine. If 3 years is the average than I'm more than double the average and still going strong. I thought my battery would be dead from not using it in months but I cranked up the quad yesterday with no hesitation.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So it's been about a week and a half since you've posted.

Any updates?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

No. The weather has been above freezing, much of the snow has been melted off. I was also waiting for your respond to mine and Frank's battery replies.

Our 4 month old is taking some of our time and there was a student at my job that committed suicide and we have been working through that.

When I have an update to post, I'll be sure to follow up.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Got the electrical connectors unplugged today and they looked like the day it came off the line. Brand spankin' clean and new looking. I think it's what they call "weatherpack" or something along those lines that really gives it a great gasket seal at the connections that prevent anything from getting inside. Sprayed them with contact cleaner anyway, put some dielectric grease on them too and plugged them back in. Rode around a bit and let it sit outside in 20 degree weather for a few hours. Came back...and froze up again. So I can check that off the list of possibilities (bad connections).

Looking more and more like something internal to the unit itself. I do have a service manual and there are instructions on how to replace the unit so just not sure how I want to move forward. Will sit on the machine for awhile, that's for sure. Next upgrade I've wanted to do is the Rzr 900 Trail (nearly all trails in Wisconsin are 50"). Don't NEED to upgrade at the moment and if I did, our daughter can't ride in it for several years anyway so I may as well hold off. If it still works in the above freezing temps and when I want to ride in the winter I bring it out of the garage and it's good I may just live with it for awhile based on the replacement cost.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Even though there are no parts available(more money for the manufacturer) if mine I'd still take the 4 bolts off the gear box split it and see if water contaminated or at least try to see if anything in the gear box could be causing it to bind.May be cleaning along with greasing may help. I'm like everyone else,don't like to hand money over without at least seeing what may be wrong, especially if the problem is intermittent. You can take the old mechanic out of the shop,but you can't take the shop out of the old mechanic,but that's just my

Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I found this on another Forum where a guy was having intermittent electrical issues and he was milking a 6 yr old battery like you are. Here is what solved his problems.

He wrote-

"I had a 6 year old battery in my 2006 that would cause the ATV to just die going down the trail. I kept thinking it was a battery connection. Took them off, sanded them, put them back on, no help. Finally put a new battery in and never had the problem again...worth a try. When it ran, it ran great. When the battery started to act up it would lose power, backfire and finally die."

Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not necessary to post twice on the same subject.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...cate-post.html

Quick Reply: 2009 550 XP Power Steering/Electrical Issue