Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2009 550 XP Power Steering/Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 550 XP Power Steering/Electrical Issue

In need of some thoughts on my machine.

2009 550 XP w/ original battery. Always is on a Battery Tender when I am not riding (which can be a few months some times). Took the machine out of my heated (35 degrees) garage and loaded it up to drive 40 min to a spot to play in the snow. Haven't ridden it in 2 months.

Arrived to location and it started very hard, which is expected (-4F). Backed it off the truck and the handle bars wouldn't budge. Stayed straight. With it running no turning is possible...then within a minute the power steering light comes on. I called dealer for advice while it idles in driveway. He suggests turning off machine and starting again. I did so and still the same. Power Steering light comes on when I try to crank on the bars with a bit of muscle. Even with machine off the bars are "stuck" straight. Dealer advises me to bring it it.

I decide to bring it home first and let it sit in my heated garage. Interesting thing is that when I got home, it wouldn't even turn over. In fact, the gear indicator simply had two dashes ( -- ) in place of what is typically P, R, N, L, H. The lights don't come on. I push it off and it is now sitting in my garage with the heater set to 40 degrees.

Thoughts? Could my battery finally bit the dust? If so, what should I replace it with? Stock battery again? Dealer had originally thought the steering worked, just without the power assist. It had him stumped when I explained nothing...he originally thought the battery was low and the PS wouldn't work as to save juice for other vital components to make the machine run.

Thanks for any advice. I'll be checking back and will answer any questions I may need to address.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Going on 6 years isn't bad for a battery on a tender. Got a little over 6 on my Yuasa 14ah before having to replace it.First things first just have the battery properly load tested. Should tell you real quick if voltage drops below 9 volts under a load on a fully charged battery. Always check that the regulator is charging around 14 volts or so back to the new battery.If the stock one has lasted this long I'd stay with it as Yuasa supplied the Polaris batteries and imo these and Interstate are about as good as you can get for stock oem replacement batteries.If you have the $ you can always go up all the way to advanced lithium batteries. Some even have good luck with Wally world batteries.Some will last for years,some wont.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

Update.

Went out and checked the battery at 12.4 volts. Started it and it jumped to mid 14's. Steering still stuck. In my frustration, I started to really crank on the bars and eventually they popped and I had full power steering like I did before. Crazy. I can move them with one finger again. I went out and did a few hot laps around the neighborhood and all was like it was before in ownership.

Sooo, now what!? Ha ha. I don't get it. The PS system is all electronic and the machine is clean, not mudded up or caked with melted snow into ice.

Do I take it into an Auto Zone or similar and see if they can load test it for me? Battery seems plenty good?

I may park it outside for a few hours to try and recreate the cold scenario and see if the steering does it again? Seems unusual for the power steering to act up, and in all my years of browsing Polaris forums I don't recall anyone saying they had a PS unit go bad and need replacing.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Gremlins in the power steering gear box that don't like cold weather sounds like. Try again after it's cold and see if it does it again. If battery is cold ,but able to start the atv,don't think it's the problem.But you can always have it load tested.Plus load testers are getting cheap enough to keep in the tool box for multiple vehicle use.http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp...9888-9193.html

Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

OPT, thanks for your replies.

I will put it back outside while we head to Madison for a few hours today. It's -3 right now so we will see what happens when I return. Starting the machine while cold wasn't the problem. There is a harbor freight in Madison and I will see if I can swing by and pick up a load tester. Electrical gremlins aren't fun! I will also follow up with my dealer and see what he thinks as well.

I'll report back my findings.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well, put it outside for 30 minutes and got back from a run. Steering locked up already. So there has to be moisture in there somewhere causing it to freeze.

Backed it into the garage and let it sit for a few hours in 35 degree temps. Came back from Madison and the power steering wasn't locked anymore and could be moved freely.

Load tested the battery and passed with flying colors. Will not be replacing the battery.

Dealer doesn't have any suggestions other than he thinks moisture could have gotten someplace because it seems to only happen when below freezing.

Not sure what else to do, or what I can really do. I am sure like me, all of you are probably out of suggestions...but I'd be willing to hear anything! A new PS unit from dealer is $1800 (without labor). Used on ebay could be had for 500-800 bucks.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

For 1800 bucks it'd be worth it to me to tear the gear box down and inspect for any damage,plus grease if needed along with finding a way to seal it up better with a good water resistant sealant. My guess is the seal on the steering shaft at the entry point on the gear box or if it has a main gasket on the body of the steering box could be allowing moisture.It's at least worth the effort rather than just buying a new one or used one right off. Just my two cents on this.Plus if it is a seal you can always use the universal number on it for replacement,plus gasket material is cheap if you need to make a new gasket!Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
P.S Problem could be moisture in the electrical system connectors also. I'd pull these apart and use dielectric grease and see if this solves the problem. Electrical connections don't like moisture either.Hope it's something as simple as this..

Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks again for your insight. Yesterday I had thought of the electrical connectors...maybe some moisture got in there? Maybe I should pull them apart and see if they can air dry for awhile and do the dielectric grease as you said.

I did bury the machine this summer where I killed it from taking in some water. No engine damage, but I did end up doing 10 total oil changes before I was satisfied with it running clear out of the machine. I am sure that could have played a role...but not the first time I have played in the water, snow, mud, rain, washed it, etc.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Chadly1980

I did bury the machine this summer where I killed it from taking in some water. No engine damage, but I did end up doing 10 total oil changes before I was satisfied with it running clear out of the machine. I am sure that could have played a role...but not the first time I have played in the water, snow, mud, rain, washed it, etc.
Might be why the power steering box is locking up. May be rusted inside. Worth at least a look to see if you can clean it up and grease it along with trying to water proof all electrical connections.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

With all the electricity these new ATVs require, I would be damn scared to be running a 6 year old little motorcycle battery in the frigid winter.

Rule of thumb with street bikes is to change the battery every 3 years!

I would start with a fresh battery and bet all will be well.

Quick Reply: 2009 550 XP Power Steering/Electrical Issue