Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

94 Polaris 300 HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Polaris 300 HELP PLEASE

I have a 1994 Polaris 300. Thing had no spark, so new flywheel and stator and it had spark. It was impossible to start but ran great when it got going (squirt gas in carb). Rebuilt the carb. Then found out it had low compression, rebuilt the top end. I bored it out and all new piston and gaskets and oil seals. Started up better now. BUT IN REVERSE! The engines cranks forwards than when it fires goes backwards and runs backwards. I think its timing but i don't have any experience with timing what so ever. OR what else could it be? Any help would be great, its been in my shop for months! I just want to get the thing running right. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Remove the black wire from the reverse limiter and see if it cranks up. If it doesn't,move the stator plate to the right(retard timing) a little and see if it help on getting it to run,then to the left(advance timing) if it doesn't. All you're tying to do is get the timing close enough too crank. You are supposed to mark the stator plate if there are no marks on it before it was removed.The only correct way to set the timing is to have a timing light and rpm meter. Pull the recoil cover 14mm plug,get the engine to 2500 rpm and check how far off from the center timing mark(29 degrees) the light is. Then stator plate can then be move a little at a time and rechecked.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah the stator plate is almost all the way to the right (delayed), i did mark it when i took it off. I'm gonna look into timing light more tomorrow. I also have to figure out why my stator is rubbing on the flywheel before i try to fire it again. Timing is probably my problem though. Thanks for the quick response!! you seem to help everyone, you sir are a life saver!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Was the stator an aftermarket one or oem,plus the flywheel the same as the old one? Set the plate to where the plate bolts are dead center of the mounting slot and see if it helps.Just a thought on the stator and flywheel. Just doesn't sound right somewhere if you marked the stator plate and case.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

The stator was aftermarket, and the flywheel was identical. The original owner might have forgotten to mark the plate when he put the seals in. I will dead centre the bolts and see what happens.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Trailblazer

Just as a reference:
I also have a 1994 Polaris 300. It still has OEM stator and flywheel. It has good alignment markings and the stator plate bolts are dead center of the mounting slot on my machine.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Diverod
Just as a reference:
I also have a 1994 Polaris 300. It still has OEM stator and flywheel. It has good alignment markings and the stator plate bolts are dead center of the mounting slot on my machine.
Ok thanks for the response, I'm gonna dead centre the bolts today and test it out.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so I dead centered the bolts and it still runs backwards. Should I advance timing or delay it? I looked up on the Polaris parts diagram and they have there stator upside down compared to mine. I tried to put it on like they have it but it would not line up. I thought it might have just been upside down on mine but I don't know. The quad cranks forwards then at the last second shoots backwards and the starter disengages hard.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

I tried little bits of delay no difference and than all the way and no difference

Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

FIXED!!! The little coil was upside down, it fires up so good now.

Quick Reply: 94 Polaris 300 HELP PLEASE