Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil leak Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak Why?

I am at a total loss on this one Hope one of you experts can help me out. I have an 03 Sportsman 700 that leaks from the oil filter. I change the filter and all is good for a couple days. This is the third time this has happened to me. I let it sit a couple days start it up and then she just pours oil out from the filter. I have checked for obstructions where the filter fits on. The filter is not loosening up. It is the correct filter. I have even tried a K&N filter for it. What can it be?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Anything on the surface where the filter seal meets the housing? Any crack in the housing around that area?

If it's doing this with different filters, then I would suspect the housing is the issue somewhere.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Anything on the surface where the filter seal meets the housing? Any crack in the housing around that area?

If it's doing this with different filters, then I would suspect the housing is the issue somewhere.
Area is clean... If the housing was cracked wouldn't it leak all the time? I can get a day or two use before it starts leaking.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

How much is it leaking?

Any pictures of it when it does?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
How much is it leaking?

Any pictures of it when it does?
It is pouring out I started it up and I have a pool of oil under it.
Sorry no pic.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

This is the parts diagram for the year and model you listed. I haven't seen one in person, so I can't say the picture is correct. If it is, it should give you an idea of where else to look for the leak.

Hope that helps.

I'm sure when OPT sees this, he'll have the answer you need.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

Here is where I am at... I turned the oil filter 1/4 turn and could see the rubber gasket bulged. I had this hand tightened just like all the rest. Is it possible that it could be vibrating and tightening???? I just put my last new filter I had on (just snugged by hand) filled it with oil and plowed my drive with it . NO LEAKS. I will wait a couple days and see if I end up with the same problem again. As I said before it works fine for a couple days then starts leaking.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Haven't seen this problem unless some one was using the wrong filter,but you might check that oil filter nipple is tight,threads aren't damaged. Main leaks I had from the 700 was from the dip stick bottom holder bolts loosening up or vibrating out. This caused the dip stick to move around a little and seeped oil from around the o-ring.Plus you might remove the oil pressure relief bolt, washer, spring and valve(dowel pin) and check for any dirt or obstruction,blow out with an air nozzle.Also you can remove the oil priming plug, hook up an oil pressure gauge and see what oil pressure is at around 5500 rpms.Should be between 35-39 psi.Originally heard from Polaris when the 700 came out NOT to use the 500(3084963) filter as the check valve was different,but over time most brands crossover to include the 2540086 and the 3084963 as being compatible with each other.
POLARIS 2540086 - Alternative oil filters

Old 01-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

Might be my problem Old polaris tech Last 2 filters I bought were from Napa only because it was local and in stock. This problem started when I had the exact problem you are saying with the oil fill tube. Finally got that fixed and now this started.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can splurge on an oem Polaris 2540086 or just change brand of filter and see if this solves the problem.Bypass valve and pop off pressure is supposedly different than the 3084963 filter,but enough to really matter I really don't know.Plus I've found that some manufacturers filter dimensions and oil seal rings varied a bit from filter to filter.That could something to do with the leaking.

Quick Reply: Oil leak Why?