Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magnum 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 4x4

Trying to get the 4x4 working on my older machine. It's a 2002 Polaris Magnum 325. Bought it as a project machine as it has more problems then I can count. I'm having to replace the electromagnetic coils in the hubs, but before I do that, the 4x4 switch lights up when I switch it on, (and current goes into the wires for the hubs) but when you give it a bit of gas the light goes off until you let back off the gas. Does this sound like a ground issue? Or is the switch not getting enough power? Thank you for your reply.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the connectors and wiring on the transmission switches as they transmit gear position.Plus if gear position input is erratic so can the awd light and power to the hubs also.Could just need cleaning and a little electrical grease.I'd eliminate this first.If it still has problem,may be the small grounding wires for the hubs at the two connectors under the front panel loosing ground. Possible you can do as some have done on the Sportsman 500(same system) by making a common ground on the small awd wires to a good ground spot. Also if you have the speedo version of the Magnum(FB),the awd wiring runs through it.Jump the brown/white wire to the brown in the speedo connector which bypasses the speedo as far as awd.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's not the speedo version. The gear shifter is loose, and sucks to put into gear sometimes. Would you recommend taking apart the gear shifter?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kalebscott
It's not the speedo version. The gear shifter is loose, and sucks to put into gear sometimes. Would you recommend taking apart the gear shifter?
Possible you just need to adjust the linkage at the shift box. Have it in neutral,make sure the belcranks(shift levers) are tight on the transmission. Loosen the 10mm lock nuts on the ball ends that slip into the levers at the box. Remove the two 10mm nuts securing the ball ends to the linkage arms and slip the linkage ends away from the shift box levers. This is the time to see if the shift lever has a lot of slack forward and reverse with linkages off. If it does,linkage adjustment may or may not help,or help just for a while. While still in neutral,turn the ball ends to where they fall straight into the shift levers on the box with NO resistance. Tighten the lock nuts and replace the two 10 mm nuts securing the linkage ends to the shift box. See if the shifter goes into gear better. If it doesn't the shift box may need to have worn parts replaced or the shift box assy replaced if still available. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will do. Thank you sir.