Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OPT help, 94 sportsman 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPT help, 94 sportsman 400

OPT I'm reaching out for some much needed help. 1994 polaris sportsman 400. Was riding and it just stopped running. Stator went bad. Replaced the stator and pick up coil and aligned the timing marks. Now I only get a single spark every now and again when I try to crank it. Its like the flywheel has to be in jusy the right area when I start to crank it to get one spark. I have disconnected the black wire on the speed limitor. The coil, stator, and pick up coil all check with in the listed ohms. The flywheel magnets are strong. I gapped the pick up coil at .010". I have tried ngk and champion spark plugs. The engine has a good ground. Coil has a good ground. Coil and spark plug wire are new along with a new cdi box. I'm lost on what to check now.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Move the pickup coil back a tad and see if it helps. Manual shows pick up face to have between .016 -.040 clearance between it and the flywheel tab.May actually be too close in.Plus pull the black(kill wire) from the cdi and see if it cranks up. Had a few over the years like this that the left control emergency on/off switch could short out or even the ignition switch or the wiring harness from either one have shorts.They both tie into the kill circuit along with the cdi. The main circuit board is another area to check for wiring connection problems also.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I'll pull the black wire, back the pulsar coil back some. I checked all the wires on the board and they are plugged into the right strips. I'll post my resaults with the changes in a couple hours.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pulled the black wire from the cdi and opened the gap on the pulsar coil. Still only a singal intermittent spark.Cleaned the pulsar coil pick up and magnet on outside of flywheel while I was in there.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then I'd ohm out the left control switch wiring along with the ignition switch and wiring.Plus recheck the resistance on the pick up coil and the main stator even though you replaced them. Even one simple ground wire can cause people to have fits trying to trace down problems.The manual can help on basic trouble shooting guides and resistance specs,but shoots blanks on wiring harness problems.I've had to strip down wiring looms many times to to find problems. Hope you don't have to get into it that far.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hope not. I have the service manual for it. As for ohm on the left switch (on off switch) and the ignition, what ohms am I looking for? Just a complete circuit when in the on position? Ohms for the stator and pulsar pick up are within 10% of specs listed in service manual.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You're just checking continuity on the switches,that they are operating ok and change as you slide the on/off emergency switch along with the different ignition switch on off positions. Not unusual to have left control switch problems over the years and I've had to replace them along with ignition switches. Just a process of eliminating one thing at a time and moving on to the next thing to check.Frustrating I know,but the alternative is to let a shop check trouble shoot electrical problems and can get expensive.Most charge by the hr and basically are doing the same thing you are.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok cool it's dark here now so Ill check those tomorrow and hope for the best. Yeah I don't like taking things to a shop and getting a huge bill for labor so I will keep plugging away at it.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ignition and left switch check good. Whats next cause I'm lost now.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Stator and pick up coil,cdi along with other parts new oem or aftermarket or used? One spark only still kinda points to the stator/pick up in most cases if you defeated the kill circuit from the cdi,plus if the cdi is new that you can rule it out.RARE occasions the flywheel magnetism itself can be the problem,just never encountered one at the shop.

Quick Reply: OPT help, 94 sportsman 400