Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help me choose Sportsman, KingQuad, Brute Force

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose Sportsman, KingQuad, Brute Force

I’m looking to get a new ATV and I have it narrowed down to three, but need some input. Mainly used as a trail riding, in the woods, light mudding, hill climbing machine, also some yard work pulling an aerator and spreader. I owned a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 850xp for about 5-6 months. I never had any problems with it, but I was a little pissed because the tabs that held the brake lines to the frame I had one broken within a day or two of owning just riding in the yard then another one on the rear. It was from the screw head breaking off making it a pain in the **** to get out of the frame, somebody overtightened the cheap screws. Not a big issue just not something you want from a brand new several thousand dollar machine. I also put some frame brace on the rear where it was known to have possible cracking issues. Nothing really holding me back from getting another Polaris, but nothing really making me feel that that is the only atv to have.

I’m considering the Kawasaki Brute Force 750, Polaris Sportsman 850 SP, and the Suzuki King Quad 750. Obviously I would like to get the best for the least amount of money.
2015 Brute Force 750 with EPS $8198
2015 Brute Force 750 without power steering $7298
2015 Sportsman 850 SP $8498
2015 Sportsman 850 $7198
2014 Suzuki King Quad 750 AXi with power steering $7998, not sure of the 2015 price yet

The first big question is do I need power steering? Is this something I will miss having, since I had it on my previous sportsman? Is power steering worth $900-$1400 extra? I have heard horror stories about all of these machines and the ongoing joke is about the Popo’s reliability. I think overall the reliability of the Suzuki is the highest of these three. Will I miss the power of the 850? To me it didn’t have insane off the line power and you had to try to make it wheelie, but it had grunt when I needed it, seemed really stable, I could climb steep hills with confidence, rode like a Cadillac because it’s a tank. It seems the Brute Force has the most wheelie making power, I hear the suspension is stiffer( not sure if that is good or bad), I also hear they run hot. It seem like the KingQuad has gotten a lot of praise from online reviewers. It seems like it’s not the best at one thing, but it does everything well. Not as snappy as the Brute Force but supposed smooth power band. I know the KingQuad won’t sound as good with it’s single cylinder. I dislike the single brake lever of the Sportsman, dual brakes are just safer on the hills to me. I like the headlight configuration on the Sportsman and KingQuad, wish the BruteForce had a light on the handle bars too. Looks wise the Sportsman has the other two beat, the plastics have the automotive paint, and the plastics on the Brute and KingQuad are just standard. I plan on buying a new set of wheels 12” or 14” and with a little bigger tire 27”-28” maybe.

Ok, I know it’s long and wordy, but your comments and suggestions would be great. Any must have upgrades or major downsides? I will be posting this in each brands respective forum to try to get all angles.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Trailblazer

Of those, I'd go with the Suzuki.

Having said that, I bought a Sportsman 570 because I got it for HALF the price you've got listed here for these "big bore" machines and the 570 makes 44 horsepower which is plenty enough to get work done and get you killed on the trail if you're not careful.

Power steering is awesome...but it's $800 or more. That's money that can be spent on tires and a winch.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check around, because aftermarket power steering tends to be a lot cheaper. The Japanese brands always seem to be tops for quality, personally I feel Yamaha leads the way with all the premium features as well, but Suzuki has always been good 5o me.

Also true on that 570. It is the new little engine that could in Polaris' lineup.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

So much of making the decision is just overall personal preference. See if you can get to the dealers and take each model for a test drive. That way you can "feel" the power, check out the ergos, and get a general idea of how each machine is laid out. My neighbor just bought a new Brute force and it looks like a really nice machine. The Grizzly( not on your list) has also always been a good reliable ride. For me I have always been a fan of Polaris because for me it has the plushest ride. I don't have power steering but from the ones that I have driven, I would want to have it. Most of my trail riding is on tight bird hunting trails at a low speed. For my use, power steering would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with whatever machine you buy.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you want the best ride then Polaris. if want good gas mileage then go smaller as the big bores are on harder on fuel.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate the responses. I'm still torn. I've heard the king quad has a weak frame, not sure how true. They say the king quad is geared tall, which kind of sucks. Can this thing easily pull wheelies? I've also heard adding bigger tires and you definitely need a clutch kit. I also can get the king quad for $7500 maybe even less.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

If you're looking to pull wheelies, you should probably be looking at different machines other than heavy big bore utility machines. Clutching can always help if you need lower end pull. Most big bore will be fine with a slightly bigger tire without clutching but it all depends on the size and weight.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

Ive owned, rode, or ride with every fourhwheeler listed here. With that being said you cant go wrong with any of these, if youre going to spend this much money id go ahead and spend a little more and get the biggest and the best which is a Can-Am 1000 (what i have) or a sportsman 1000 and get eps, factory eps is the best way to go dont cut corners if you are already spending this much. If its the money and you settle for a jap bike they are good too just no where near the can-am or po po. I owned a brute before my 1000 and loved it and a couple grizzlys before that, the Brute has got the best torque out of the jap bikes and any of them will pull a wheelie the king quad being the hardest but i can do it on my buddies and hes running 27s. I have 28 inch tires on my can-am on stock clutch and you can definitely run 27s maybe a light 28 on the jap bikes but a clutch kit helps them a lot esp the king quad. Also on stock clutching i can ride a wheelie from a roll on my can-am with my girl on the back too.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Kent_Man, You've listed 3 really different ATV's, so I'll add this to what I said over on the Kawasaki page. The Sportsman seems to be the most Utility of the Sport Utility ATV's. The 850 isn't quick and nimble like the Brute, but it's fast and powerful. It's built heavier so that you can literally slap 500 pounds on the 850, and it won't even know it's there. There was a story on the ATVTV show where an 850 was pulling a trailer loaded with railroad ties up a long steep hill. Another name brand quad was loaded down and didn't have the power to get up the hill. The driver of the 850 pushed it up the hill while pulling it's own load. It can do that, ride with comfort, and still manage to get good gas milage (I've heard 19 & 20). Polaris does seem to have gremlins but I know more people who have problem free Sportsmans than people who have chronic issues. The Sportsman is a bit of a pain to maintain in my mind. 4 different oils for front dif, rear dif, transmission, and ADC. There are 21 grease zerks, all in hard to reach places. I prefer the Brutes quick and nimble attributes, but that doesn't mean that the 850 isn't one bad mama jama.......

Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If your a high speed type gravel road cruising the BF and 850 are twins and would be a better choice.
I would not worry about the KQ tall gearing if it has it since if your in some thick mud or heavy load condition you will be most likely going slow and will be in low range anyways.

Since you already had Power steering you may miss it. I myself never found a ATV hard to steer and would put that extra money into tires , rims or a winch.

There was a story on the ATVTV show where an 850 was pulling a trailer loaded with railroad ties up a long steep hill. Another name brand quad was loaded down and didn't have the power to get up the hill. The driver of the 850 pushed it up the hill while pulling it's own load.
If a 400 Sportsman was in low range it would break wheel traction well before wheel turning pull power. My 350 Big Bear in low range would snap a axle before it lost wheel turning power.
If I ties my 500 to a house it would just dig itself 4 wheel ruts and bury into the ground before the tires would ever stop turning.
That's why the mid bore and Big Bores have the same tow capacities of 1200lbs. They rate tow capacity while the ATV is in low range.
A 400 in low will out pull a 800 in high range, since any CVT ATV can smoke a belt in High range but its next to impossible while in low.
I would hope a guy trailering a load railway ties up a incline would be in low range.

Quick Reply: Help me choose Sportsman, KingQuad, Brute Force