Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman check engine light on in park

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry sportsman check engine light on in park

I have a 2003 polaris sportsman 700 carb. The check engine light is on only when i shift it into park. Any ideas? Also the cooling fan will not come on. It does have the upgraded ignition on it. I have changed the sensors and the cdi, the coolant is full. Am i missing any thing?

Old 04-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check first that the battery connections are tight, charged up,receiving around 14 volts at an idle from the regulator.If in doubt about the battery have it load tested.Could be the reason the fan doesn't work,not enough voltage. Cooling fan is another thing why along with possible trapped air in the coolant system or a dirty radiator you may get this check engine light. Just test direct voltage to the fan to see if it works first.Shorted out sensors on the radiator are another cause for fans not kicking on. Item #25 on the parts break down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse You can substitute this sensor with a Wells 526 (Autozone,Napa,O'reillys,etc),cut the connector off and use you oem connector.To test just remove it,check resistance when cold,drop in boiling water,resistance should drop. If it zeros out,it's shorted out. With all the bends in the coolant hoses hard to get all the air out with out leaving the radiator cap off,raising the front tires off the ground and let the fan cycle on and off(once you get it running). Radiator level will drop if there is any trapped air. May have to do this several times,then top off radiator and coolant bottle.Hope it's simply a battery problem.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

it will be tomorrow before i can start testing. I had two of these machines and one had the upgraded ignition (was totaled) and one did not. i removed the the complete ignition system off the totaled one and install on the other one. Maybe there was something i missed or a wire not connected? it does also have a new battery.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

forgot to mention i did put 12v to the fan and the fan works fine.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

New battery,plus if you replaced both sensors,the temp sensor on the head and the radiator sensor,don't over look the fan circuit breaker under the front panel in the sealed pouch. Same type circuit breaker as the main power breaker located up from the battery.Check that it has 12 volts on each red wire that leads in and out of the pouch. If it doesn't,slice the pouch open and check the breaker for corrosion. May be the problem. Can get them at any auto store if needed.

Attached Thumbnails sportsman check engine light on in park-image.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

this morning i was able to get the fan to work. Must have been some air bubble. i also checked the charging system. with the machine off the battery is exactly 12v at idle it jumps up to about 14.1 but at about 3000 rmps the battery light comes on and it is charging at 16v-17v. where do i go from here? and the check engine light is on only when i put the machine in park. i put it in any other gear the light goes off.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Polaris Sportsman 450
this morning i was able to get the fan to work. Must have been some air bubble. i also checked the charging system. with the machine off the battery is exactly 12v at idle it jumps up to about 14.1 but at about 3000 rmps the battery light comes on and it is charging at 16v-17v. where do i go from here? and the check engine light is on only when i put the machine in park. i put it in any other gear the light goes off.
I had a similar issue with my sportsman, except I was at 16-17v at idle. Replaced the ecm in mine and it solved the problem

Old 04-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Polaris Sportsman 450
Charging way too much.Probably the reason for the warning light. Wouldn't be long before it sucked the life out of the new battery. Regulator changed THREE times on this model. From the original one that came with the Ducati system,the updated one with the Kokusan ignition kit,plus even it's been updated.Part#2203638.Item #23 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus here's one on ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2203638-POLARIS-Voltage-Regulator-400-500-600-700-2003-2004-/191527981887?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2c97f5133f&vxp=mtr