Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 sportsman Hilliard Clutch grabbing in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 sportsman Hilliard Clutch grabbing in Reverse

Hello, Not super familiar with navigation on these sites. Im having a pulling to one side in reverse when AWD switch is on , mainly. Have narrowed it down to left front, have good power, have replaced armature, hilliard clutch spring, noticed on new armature plate i was only seeing outside score mark, and checked difference between inside and out, and found inside ring was in about .006, trying to adjust outer ring, helped a little, but started back again. Seems to be grinding paper thin slivers of metal off that outer ring. Does that make sense, and would that outer ring being out to far cause the grabbing in reverse.

Thanks in Advance for any help you may have.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes this can cause erratic awd operation.Coil sleeve has to be flush or no more than .001 clearance between it and the inner strut pole that the coil slides over.These are the two places the armature plate touches.If the sleeve is damaged(ground down) it must be replaced. MOST times in doing so you crack the coil,so be prepared to replace it also.Items 13,15 on the parts break down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Attached Thumbnails 2002 sportsman Hilliard Clutch grabbing in Reverse-2012-07-18_13-47-39_302.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You Old Polaris Tech, I've been fighting this thing for quite some time, finally got it pin pointed yesterday. Can the outside ring be adjusted in a fuzz, or not? Going to replace when I get back from a ride at the Hatfield and McCoy trails next week
Thanks again

Old 05-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hard to really set it right if the sleeve face is damaged,probably wont work right. Silicone is what's holding it in place,or was supposed to be. Possible if the sleeve isn't ground down, to move the sleeve out enough with a small flat chisel,then apply a little silicone around the strut and tap the sleeve back with a block of wood to where it's flush with the inner strut pole.Don't know if it would last,but might buy you a little time before you repair it properly.All depends on the outer sleeve condition.Again I'd go ahead and order a new coil as you possibly will break it. You can also pull the awd connectors to each wheel and see if cutting power to the coils will help even though you loose all awd function..One other thing you can try also is to grind off the 3 tabs on the armature plate to where they won't engage the hilliard cut out slots.You won't have awd on that side,but at least it hopefully wont grab.Just a few suggestions you can try to get you past the week end.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great idea on the armature plate, my outer ring is actually out a little further than the inner, I may try tapping it in a fuzz to equal the inner. Were you speaking of moving the outer ring out just to get a little silicon behind it? Or would you just try tapping it in a bit a see how it goes?
Thanks so much for your help, I've been talking to so many dealers and people , and very few seem to know much about that system, they all either want me to change parts or bring it in, of course.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can try to tap it in with a wood block to where it's flush with the inner pole and hope it stays put,plus pull the awd connectors under the front panel. This might be the simplest thing to do at this point. Yes I was talking about adding some more silicone,but may not be worth the effort.. Yes they all want you to bring it in.. Betcha plenty of them haven't ever changed a hub strut sleeve and just want to sell you a new complete strut assembly for 300 bucks..

Old 05-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm sure they would love to do that. I may try to adjust it once more before I leave, and if it gives me fits, I will either grind the tabs on my old armature plate, or I guess it be ok to unplug that one side, maybe fill both ends with some dielectric grease to keep the mud and water out during the ride.
I guess I'll find out how bad it pulls with just the right front in AWD

Thanks Again for taking time to Help

Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default AWD grabbing in reverse.

Still having a grabbing and pulling handlebars to right in reverse with AWD on and override pushed. I have checked both hubs, hilliard clutches, all bearings, coils, everything looks smooth and clean. I am about at my wits end. any suggestions are much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Old 03-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I know you replaced the armature plate,but did you replace the coil sleeve? If you haven't that's more than likely the problem. Here's some good pics on what's involved courtesy of a guy on Polaris Atv Forum.. http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...tml#post216327

Old 03-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did not replace the coil and sleeve on that side, I replaced the coil and sleeve on the left side. It pulls to the right in AWD, only in reverse on the ground. Will not act up with all four wheels off the ground and putting pressure on each wheel. works fine. Just baffled at how it looks great inside everything, but will only act up in reverse.

Quick Reply: 2002 sportsman Hilliard Clutch grabbing in Reverse