Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magunum 325 2002

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magunum 325 2002

So there is a auction going on and so far im winning this thing for less than 500 bucks like WAY under. Now its far enough away i cant go look at it before the auction ends it is a bank repo or something on that line, but my question is this -

Decent shape not running no idea why it could be as simple as they dont have the key and dont care due to it being as-is bank repo, or the motor could be junk...

What is it worth
What are "common" issues that make the motors go bad??

Im just trying to get an Idea sight unseen how much i wanna gamble on it, i realize its ALL up to me but just some input would be cool.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Basically good machines if treated half way decent.Did have problems on the early model 325 engines (2000-2001) on blowing oil cooler lines,but the 2002 is past that.Problem that a lot of people encountered on the Magnum was a stripped out prop shaft coupler going from the transmission to the rear differential. Partially hidden grease fitting that people over looked.Not that costly to repair if needed,but just a lot of work pulling the rear swing arm and rear diff. Item #17.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If it's a 4 wheel drive Magnum I'd drain and fill the front hubs also and check for and any leaking around the brake rotor and inner strut area. Plus always do a god oil/filter service.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Buying an auction machine can be a deal or can be a lot of work.Always expect to do work on them anyway.Hopefully you can get a good deal.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Trailblazer

I'm expecting a lot of work,hoping it simple though lol, but due to it being a repo, im hoping the auction company said it wont start, cant test it. So sell it as not running/broke.

But i do thank you for letting me know about the issue's so unless someone was stupid (witch happens) the motor "should" be okay. Know i know flukes happen or people run them wide open in 3 feet of water and destroy it. I get that just was wondering.

I appreciate the input Old Polaris Tech!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing to consider is that the auction company representative in charge of this machine most likely has zero mechanical knowledge about it. Not running could easily be a dead battery or loose spark plug wire. Its a gamble to buy it but if you get it cheap enough its probably worth the gamble. Its basically a $2000 machine if its a 4x4 so if you can get it for under $500, that gives you a lot of room to spend money on it and still get a good deal.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
One thing to consider is that the auction company representative in charge of this machine most likely has zero mechanical knowledge about it. Not running could easily be a dead battery or loose spark plug wire. Its a gamble to buy it but if you get it cheap enough its probably worth the gamble. Its basically a $2000 machine if its a 4x4 so if you can get it for under $500, that gives you a lot of room to spend money on it and still get a good deal.
This is kinda what i was looking to see someone say, but at the same time Old Polaris tech gave me awesome insight!
But i agree with the auction company 100%, they usually don't even care, they get paid and that's all they want.

I work for an auction company myself, and i know that there are times they don't get things running just to get them cheap themselves, and that may be what happens here. It sputtered once and they quit just so there buddy can get a good deal but i shall see! Also all it says is this:
"It was reported that this unit has a bad or non functioning motor" plus it says no key.....well they don't function with out a key

Also at 500 bucks i bet i could resell it Not running for 500-800 just because of the 4x4 and its complete and looks good

Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my stolen ATVs was recovered after the insurance company already paid me. I saw it before they auctioned it off and the only thing that I remember that really stood out was that the ignition wires were all cut. You may get something as simple as that or you may get a huge money pit. Hopefully it's something easy to fix.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

Hope it simple if not may just take my losses and sell it right away for me if I can get it running I'm happy, if the motor is junk I'll sell and cut my losses before it hits a money pit

Old 05-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

Well i won the auction, even picked up a rolling chassis xplorer 300, spent more than i wanted to but hey....Take a chance...

The guy that was holding the auction was told that it ran out or low on oil, and never personally tried to even roll the motor over, but someone else had rolled it over, and said there was compression (or could be half welded rings......)I am picking it up later tonight and ill find out if i got a good deal or not....

Drain the tank, clean the carb, and see if a battery charger will roll it over and make it run.... oh and put oil in it.......

Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it has run low on oil hopefully just the piston and not the crank. But the crank isn't too bad as it's set up like an auto crank shaft. The crank can be turned and over size bearings and rod replaced.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If it has run low on oil hopefully just the piston and not the crank. But the crank isn't too bad as it's set up like an auto crank shaft. The crank can be turned and over size bearings and rod replaced.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
I was gunna ask took it home and we'll started right up ran and knocked.....camshaft looks awesome but the crank is up and down left and right plus the pistion.

I'm assuMing this means I need:

Complete gasket set
pistion and rings
oversize crank bearing

Machining of both the crank and pistion

What size should the crank measure to be standard??? Also I looked on eBay there are cheap cranks to the point that if there good, I can't get it machined for that.....but none of them you can unbolt like a car engine mine yes you can

Quick Reply: Magunum 325 2002