Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fuel drip

Old 05-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel drip

Took all my four wheelers up to the camper for our first camping weekend and went off without a hitch.....well, only one hitch, lol. The 96 Xplorer ran really good and we put about 40 miles on it. The 2000 Sportsman 500 on the other hand, died on me. My daughter was driving it and she pulled up to the camper and said the speedometer quit working and I shut it off only to not have it start or turn over. I grabbed my test light and found power coming into the ignition switch, but none coming out. A quick trip to the Polaris dealer and $84 later, we had a happy kid again.

The only issue I found after riding all weekend is on the Xplorer. After bringing it back to the shop, I noticed a drop of fuel coming out of the bowl vent tube when the machine is running. Very small drip and very random. Stops once the machine is turned off. I just put a new carb kit in because the needle and seat were leaking while it sat. I did this on Friday before I headed up to the camper and I checked the float arm and pin for wear and everything looked good. Could it just be a float setting a tad high? Maybe splashing some fuel as the engine vibrates?. I guess I have had the carb off so many times in the last month, one more time wont hurt, lol. I assume I just bring the arms down away from the carb body to lower the float setting a little.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Vibration mostly.Splashes up to the top of the over flow tube. Watch the carb when you have it at high rpms in neutral then let off the throttle.Even with the counter balancer the engine vibrates when it comes back down to an idle and this just makes the carb shake. They tried to dampen some of this vibration with the rubber blocks under the carbs,but some would still drip every now and then.You can go back in if you wish and set the float arm a tad higher than level with the carb bowl gasket (22-24mm) as the manual calls for.This can shut off the fuel a little quicker and slightly lowers the fuel level in the bowl which may stop the drip.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

I went back in and set the float arm a little higher and now it just drips a drop or two if I have it at mid throttle and let off, not at idle. I think this is as good as it will get so I'm happy with it, lol.

Thanks for all your help, this is the first two stroke that I have rebuilt and I was a little nervous at first, but I am happy with the results and I have a pretty sweet running 19 year old machine that keeps up with all the newer ones at my campground, lol.

Mike