Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Always something .. oil plug leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Always something .. oil plug leak

I'm relatively new here, but have been finishing up a 2004.5 sportsman 500 HO that I got for a song that wasn't running. Finally finished everything and decided to do a oil change this weekend since it was pouring rain. Turns out the previous owner/owners over torqued the plug on the oil reservoir tank. It had a drip before and after a new washer still does. Been reading a few posts about how the brass insert can strip from the plastic and cause a seep .. was thinking of draining the oil, clean up and re-inspection, then put some gasket/ permetex type stuff between the washer and tank and see what happens … any thoughts, anyone had success with this? Last resort is guess us a new tank, but at $100 its kind of steep ….

I hate fluid drips on any vehicle.. a little OCD I guess …

Cheers

Brian

Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of posters have replaced the tank with earlier model metal tanks , plenty of them on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-POLARIS-XPLORER-400-500-SPORTSMAN-MAGNUM-6X6-OIL-TANK-LINES-/131497110678?hash=item1e9dd6ac96&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Polaris-Sportsman-500-HO-Oil-Tank-Reservoir-/191568179206?hash=item2c9a5a7006&vxp=mtr
A lot cheaper than new !

Old 05-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Once the brass insert spins on a plastic tank,nothing much can help. I've tried almost everything in the past on these plastic tanks,but with little success.Like mentioned either replace with an older metal tank or if you get a replacement plastic tank, don't torque the nut past 12 ft pounds even though a lot of manuals call for 14 ft pounds.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Polaris sure made cheapen out when the changed the "alloy" oil tank for a plastic container. The alloy tank also had cooling fins so in a way it acted like a oil cooler.

Old aluminum alloy type

The plastic milk jug they have now. I,m amazed the heat of the motor and oil does not melt it or a stick/rock on the trail does not cracks it.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Yooper265
Lots of posters have replaced the tank with earlier model metal tanks , plenty of them on Ebay
99 Polaris Xplorer 400 500 Sportsman Magnum 6x6 Oil Tank Lines | eBay

2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO Oil Tank Reservoir | eBay

A lot cheaper than new !

Are these a direct drop in replacement or do you have to replumb oil lines and such? Any caveats to look for when going this route?

Looks like a good alternative for sure ..

And yes the manual that I went by says torque to 14lbs and I did so I'm sure I made it worse, ...

Old 05-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes , they are a direct replacement .

Here's a thread from another forum on the subject .

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...-oil-tank.html

Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Trailblazer

Aluminum Oil Tank - Polaris ATV Forum
Interesting, just made a offer on one .. we'll see…

I did just drain mine and the brass insert down not look spun, the splines seem to be where they should be.. put some gasket seal on both sides of the teflon washer and reinstalled, will re-fill later today and see… meanwhile will start preparations for a new metal tank install ..

Thanks all yet again for the help

Brian

Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Remember just snug these plastic tank drain plugs,don't try to flatten the plastic washer. Had people tighten them up so much that I couldn't even remove the drain plug on a few without spinning the whole insert and nut. Just ordered a new tank when this happened and tried to tell them no gorilla force needed. Think you'll like the metal tank better.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Remember just snug these plastic tank drain plugs,don't try to flatten the plastic washer. Had people tighten them up so much that I couldn't even remove the drain plug on a few without spinning the whole insert and nut. Just ordered a new tank when this happened and tried to tell them no gorilla force needed. Think you'll like the metal tank better.
Yes Sir … Did like you suggested .. I have a good inch/pound wrench and set it about 10/11 lbs … Just refilled oil and will take a ride later this afternoon and see what happens after I park …. fingers crossed.

Brian

Old 05-24-2015, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Aluminum Oil Tank - Polaris ATV Forum
The only real gotcha is the one I noted in that thread.
The screen to oil pump hose on the plastic tanks is 1/2in and the alloy tanks used a 3/8in hose.
I used this 14MM banjo to 1/2in hose barb fitting and the 2530020 - Polaris FITTING SCREEN-OIL FILTER INTAKE,BANJO.

Be sure to clean a used alloy tank thoroughly. Every one I've opened up was extremely cruddy inside.

Quick Reply: Always something .. oil plug leak