Gas Leak - 2000 SP500

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Leak - 2000 SP500

Hi guys.

2000 Sportsman 500
I'm noticing the fuel lines, main and reserve, that feed from the bottom of the tank, are often moist/wet -- normally the few inches of lines right below the tank down through when they loop back up wards... almost acting like a drip loop. It's pretty clear that gasoline is somehow leaking or splashing out of the tank somehow. These lines are often wet even when the quad has sat for weeks untouched, so it's probably a leak.

Are there any well known common causes of gas tank leaks on this model?

It appears that the tank has 2 holes on the bottom than the main and reserve intake stems penetrate. It seems like it's leaking between the tank and these intake stems. Is that possible? How do these stems seal up - are they threaded? Is it possible to remove the fuel lines and snug the intake stems up?

It's just very hard to tell how these stems are sealed to the tank, and I don't want to go breaking something by assuming.

I also, occasionally, see the quad dripping gas when I fill the tank somewhat close to the top cap... though I'm guessing this is coming out the tank vent.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Trying to get the quad ready for a WV trip.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You have the brass screw in fittings.Items 13,16.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse After a period of years they can leak between them and the tank insert. I've had to remove tanks,drain them and apply teflon tape to the fittings and screw them back in to seal any weeping or leaks. Usually that's all there is to it,but possible the insert itself may be weeping fuel itself also.On that you can make sure the tank is dry and us some JB weld epoxy around the insert and tank along with teflon tape on the fittings. I've had to do this and several customers did the same thing.Might be time to inspect the hoses also and replace them if needed. At least you don't have to mess with the rubber tank grommets and inserts that the 2002-2004 Trail Boss and Magnum had that were a pain on weeping.Polaris finally replaced them with a fuel valve on the tank in 2005 models.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus yes the tank vent hose can drip if the tank is full and if you don't have the end of the hose routed up into the steering post hole. Had plenty of these where the vent hose had broken and just dropped over the tank. Not good to have fuel drip on a hot engine. Just make sure the vent is going up the post into the hole and hasn't rotted off.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT.

The weeping gas actually made the lines soft, so I did replace them a few years ago -- but the root cause of the leak is still there.
It looks like there's enough room that I could drain the tank, and then remove & replace the 2 intake fittings using teflon tape without having to pull the entire tank out. Can you confirm? Would prefer to not have to rip all of the body plastic off unless needed. Then again, that may be the only way to inspect the upper vent tube.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can do it with the tank installed if the leak is just the screw in fittings,just drain the tank and pull the fittings,teflon tape then and reinstall,but soo much easier to do this and possibly JB weld around the inserts if the tank is removed to the work bench. The choice is yours. Plus like you say,it may uncover that that the vent hose or vent fitting are leaking too..

Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Trailblazer

Great info!

Is there a torque spec when reinstalling the brass fittings? I want to be very careful since it's plastic - guessing it won't bottom out against the tank, but rather be like pipe thread.

And I'm assuming tape is better than teflon paste for this application?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Taped worked ok for me,I just never liked the plumbers type paste. No they don't bottom out on the insert. Just hand tighten. Around 8 foot pounds or so.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

OPT - thanks for the guidance here - I did the work this weekend.

The top tank vent hose was very yellowed and brittle, but not cracked that I could tell, so I just replaced it since I was already in there. The plastic tank immediately surrounding the vent 90* elbow connection, maybe 1/4" radius around, was very yellowed vs. the color of the rest of the tank -- guessing this is from gas/fumes escaping between the tank and elbow. I just bought some of that JB Weld plastic putty and epoxied the vent elbow in to hopefully stop that problem.

I left the tank in the quad, but I did pull the 2 fuel fittings out, cleaned, teflon tape and reinstalled. I didn't even bother with the torque wrench since I couldn't even get enough resistance to bother with. I mean they are in there more than finger tight, but not much more! I also replaced the 2 fuel lines between the 3-way valve and the tank.

Question - On the 3-way valve, which outlet is the main vs. reserve? If I'm on the left side of the quad looking directly at the valve, I have the left most hose (front the quad) going to the reserve fuel fitting, and the center/right/below the valve going to the main. This is the way it was, but it would nice to know for sure which is which.

I put a gallon of gas in, fired it up, went back and forth between Main & Res on the valve a few times to make sure both line were filled -- no leaks so far. Hopefully no weeping either... time will tell. Pics below are show how it turned out.

Attached Thumbnails Gas Leak - 2000 SP500-img_1957.jpg   Gas Leak - 2000 SP500-img_1958.jpg   Gas Leak - 2000 SP500-img_1959.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 03:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good looking job! I can see where the fuel has stained the bottom of the tank.Ya know I've been asked that same question from someone else that repaired his tank like you've done and forgot which line went where.If you replaced the fittings one at a time the parts breakdown shows the fitting with the lowest filter screen(reserve) is the one closest to the fuel valve.Item #16.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If I remember correctly the reserve inlet on the fuel valve is on the right side as you're facing the valve. On this though I have a 50/50 chance of being right or wrong.. The BEST way if your not sure is to clamp off the fuel lines leading to the tank and removing them from the valve along with disconnecting the inlet line going to the fuel pump. Turn the valve to reserve position. Use a small piece of hose and connect to the right side of the fuel valve and blow through it. If you're able to blow through it,the right side valve inlet is reserve. If you can't it's the left side..