Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 1986 carberator + other issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:13 AM
TJM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 1986 carberator + other issues

So got this free. I got it to run once and it sat at idle till I turned it off. The throttle did not rev it up at all. I know nothing about engines or quads till today when I started ripping this quad apart and learn how it works. I'm embedding a youtube video that shows my problems and questions.

Im not sure how to embed wth youtube tags so heres my video link

Old 06-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The nozzle and hose in the intake manifold are the oil injector line from the oil pump. The main feed from the oil pump comes from the oil tank built into the fuel tank area.Here's the pump and injector.The two openings you pointed to are blank,nothing goes there.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse. Here's the fuel tank and oil tank.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Before you go too far do a compression check,once you have the recoil working to see what state the engine is in. Here's something that can help you on the carb.
Here's the carbs used on Polaris machines from the manual.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.aWw&cad=rja
If you don't have a manual,here's one for 5 bucks that covers the 250 engine.DOWNLOAD 1985-1995 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...

Old 06-06-2015, 11:47 AM
TJM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I watched those two videos when I was learning what a carb is and how it worked, and how to take it apart (not that that part was hard). So the nozzle in the manifold and the hose that come through it in the manifold go to the oil pump, thanks! But those are the two openings I pointed too, yet you say they're blank? Or do you mean the two nozzles I showed on my carburetor are blanks?

Old 06-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just like the parts diagram shows,these are just blank cavities on the oil pump.The pump has the main line in and small line leading to the injector nozzle in the intake opening.The upper nozzle on the carb is an atmospheric vent. Just run a small tube from it and zip tie it to the throttle cable and have it terminate under the tank area. The lower nozzle on the bottom of the carb is the carb overflow.The carb bowl drain is the big nut on the bottom of the bowl. Just hook a tube on it and let it extend below the bash plate. If gas ever leaks from it,float setting could be off or worn needle and seat that needs to be changed out.
Again before you go too far do a compression check that can tell you what condition the piston and rings/cylinder are in. No sense spending a lot of time on anything else if compression is lower than 100 psi or so.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM
TJM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again. In my video at the oil pump assembly, that black tube that is sticking out of it, can I just plug this? It wasn't even connected to anything before I took this quad apart. What is this black tube, where should it go if anywhere at all?

And can I run/ride the quad without installing a new throttle cable that hooks in through the carburetor through the cap on top? I don't see the point of this, because by factory default this wasn't a moving part anyway.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by TJM
Thanks again. In my video at the oil pump assembly, that black tube that is sticking out of it, can I just plug this? It wasn't even connected to anything before I took this quad apart. What is this black tube, where should it go if anywhere at all?

And can I run/ride the quad without installing a new throttle cable that hooks in through the carburetor through the cap on top? I don't see the point of this, because by factory default this wasn't a moving part anyway.
This is the main line from the oil pump from the oil tank that's located in the tank! Look at the links I showed in the first post,plus get the cheap manual that can explain on everything mechanical and electrical. Previous owner may have just been premixing the gas and oil,bypassing the oil tank,but if he was with this broken line on the pump, it can suck air and possibly do damage to the piston over time.IF you wish to premix,just remove the small line from the injector at the cykinder and cap off the small nozzle with a rubber cap.. Plus if the throttle cable is frozen,try to work to free it up(if you can) as it works both the throttle and oil pump.May be NLA,but if available is expensive. Item #15 on the parts break down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse This is an old machine and really hard to find parts for..

Old 06-06-2015, 02:14 PM
TJM
Weekend Warrior

Welp, I just have the gas tank. I guess the previous owner was pre mixing the oil because I see nothing attacked to my gas tank, and theres defiantly only gas in there. That line from the oil pump was plugged with...something. I thought it was just dirt but it might of just been a rusted plug or something. The throttle cable is free, I can push in the throttle thumb bar and see it pulling. So I guess I'll just cap the small nozzle and pre mix the gas. What type of oil should I use? I assume I just mix the oil/gas directly into the tank. How much oil to gas ratio should I mix?

I have the manual for 1985-1995 polaris ATV's so I've been checking out the electrical. I'll have to trouble shoot that once I get the engine running again with the torque drill once I cap off that oil line and pre mix the oil/gas once I figure out what the mixture is. I'm lucky scribd has a free trial so I got the manual for free and signed up with a gift card with 7 cents on so they can't charge me monthly lol.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Penzoil 2 stroke,Wally World 2 stroke,Quick Silver,or basically any tcw3 rated injector or premix oil is good enough to use. 40/1 ratio is what I'd use on premixing.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:29 PM
TJM
Weekend Warrior

Yup, I see no oil tank anywhere attached to the gas tank, nor the bike unless that bottom compartment of the air box under the filter is for the oil, but that has no oil residue and smells like gas, and has gas residue in it. I have some 2 stroke engine oil, I think there is 2 gallons in the tank so I'll empty that out and pour the oil in, gas it up and hope it runs! The oil bottles say the 40:1 ratio is 2 gallons and 6.4 ounces of oil, or 3.2 ounces for 1 gallon. Thanks for all the help errbody.

Now I just need to source a new throttle cable and choke for this 86 polaris. I found one on ebay but that sucker was 120 dollars! Theres gatta be cheaper ones out there.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't just dump oil in the tank and add gas! Good way to damage an engine. Mix the correct ratio in a separate gas can.The oil tank(that's missing) fit in the recess area of the fuel tank and the neck stuck up in the hole in the gas tank. If you're premixing,don't bother with it.Polaris Oil Tank 85 88 Trail Boss 250 | eBay

Quick Reply: Polaris 1986 carberator + other issues