Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ontario expands atv law!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ontario expands atv law!

Great news! Will get a ranger 570 next time!

Newsroom : Ontario Increasing On-Road Access for Off-Road and All-Terrain Vehicles

Old 06-09-2015, 11:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I live in Ontario and did not even know that you can ride along side of a highway. The place we unload and ride do not have a highway even near by.

If I was going down a highway with my ATV would be in the back of the truck on on a trailer not going down the sand shoulder.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

The atv road law is the reason why I bought my atv. I put 4,700 km on in 2 years, the last few months have been busy. I usually ride on weekends, and through the week.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's legal to ride on the shoulder of the roads in some counties here in Michigan but there isn't always room on the shoulder. You end up with two wheels on the shoulder and two on the pavement which wears them down a lot faster. One of my friends has to replace a tire that's almost a slick from this.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see if you live relatively close to where you're wanting to ride, this could be useful. I can't see going more than 5 or 6 miles on the shoulder to get to your trails. Any further than that and you might as well just haul it there. Seems a bit risky and dangerous to ride on the shoulder. I assume they want you to go very slowly so vehicles are constantly flying by just a few feet away. All it would take is one idiot screwing around on their phone and swerving off the edge of the road to get ran over.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

5 or 6 miles? We ride a lot more than that, many here work locally and ride their atv to work each day. The speed limits are 12mph/30 mph (30 km in a 50 km zone, 50 km in an 80 km zone). There has not been one road accident since this became law back in 2003, but there are still trail accidents from idiot yahoo's speeding in the trails and driving careless.

Also, most of our paved shoulders are wide enough for an atv so you don't ride the gravel.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would the law force you to ride the shoulder anyway? That's the part that makes no sense. Allow the atvs to use the road just like any other vehicle. Here in the U.S. its perfectly legal for bicycles to ride on any road other than interstate highways. They're not riding on the shoulder either, actually on the edge of the striped part of the road. Its one of the more annoying things to encounter on the road. If there's traffic coming the other way you basically have to almost stop to avoid hitting them because you can't safely go around them. Atvs which can go much faster would be much safer on highways. You should be able to license and register your atv or side by side just like a motorcycle. The whole idea of not really being able to share the road is the part I hate about their thinking here. They're basically giving you the same rights as a broken down car that's limping home because of some mechanical failure that won't allow it to travel at highway speeds.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
Why would the law force you to ride the shoulder anyway? That's the part that makes no sense. Allow the atvs to use the road just like any other vehicle. Here in the U.S. its perfectly legal for bicycles to ride on any road other than interstate highways. They're not riding on the shoulder either, actually on the edge of the striped part of the road. Its one of the more annoying things to encounter on the road. If there's traffic coming the other way you basically have to almost stop to avoid hitting them because you can't safely go around them. Atvs which can go much faster would be much safer on highways. You should be able to license and register your atv or side by side just like a motorcycle. The whole idea of not really being able to share the road is the part I hate about their thinking here. They're basically giving you the same rights as a broken down car that's limping home because of some mechanical failure that won't allow it to travel at highway speeds.
It is because of the reduced speed. It has worked well for 12 years, adding sxs just makes it better.