Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 90 Neutral & Reverse Indicator Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 90 Neutral & Reverse Indicator Lamps

OPT (andOthers),

The reverse and neutral indicator lamps are not working on my son’s Sportsman 90. Thought maybe I blew the lamps when I mistakenly reversed the battery cables when re-installing the battery this spring (OPT –you might remember my original thread on this matter). Also figured I blew the voltage regulator, so just replaced it with a new aftermarket regulator/rectifier.

With regulator replaced, I tackled the indicator lamps. Using my circuit tester (simple tool w/bulb and ground wire), I placed the tester probe on one of the wires of the circuit and tester bulb lit up, and the indicator lamps lit up – with or without the shifter in neutral or reverse. The fact that they lit up tells me they’re not blown, but also confused me as to why they are lighting up by landing the tester probe on the circuit. Why am I getting current flow to the lamp when the shifter is in forward position? Why do both the neutral and reverse lamps light up when I land the probe on the second wire of the same circuit?

Realize the above summary may be confusing (and lacking sufficient detail), but didn’t want to result in 3-page story. Any help you guys can provide in properly diagnosing and resolving this problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Schneider

Last edited by Schneider; 07-24-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spaces missing
Old 07-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a ground problem either way. Use your tester on the brown wire to each light then to ground,Green or Dark green are the hot wires. If they light up that way,either a ground short possibly in the connectors further in the harness or the connector itself. This is from the 4 stroke manual.Seen some crazy stuff happen when you reverse the battery leads,melted wiring,connectors,etc..And nope can't remember your earlier post,can't hardly remember what I did yesterday... Looked back at your post and saw that it's a 2005 2 stroke.I just have the early 2001 and it's different. Here's one that can help on the wiring.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2005-Po...ce-Manual.html