Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PLZ HELP scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:53 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you see any coolant coming from the water pump housing? I should have a weep hole to let you know it its a seal problem.

Not sure if the H.Os had the cam problems?
The 500 Scrambler got the High duration H.O cam in 1998 where as the Sportsman did not get it until 2001, two years later.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
Do you see any coolant coming from the water pump housing? I should have a weep hole to let you know it its a seal problem.

Not sure if the H.Os had the cam problems?
The 500 Scrambler got the High duration H.O cam in 1998 where as the Sportsman did not get it until 2001, two years later.

hey there no coolant leak from anywere other then coolant jug when it starts spewing out when its over heating i started leaning towards blown head gasket but i have no coolant in my oil no white smoke from exuast and no smell of coolant when quad iis running am i looking at a rad problem some fins are crushed and it looks pretty dirty and pluged and thats what i can see just from looking i could imagine whhat it looks like if i pulled it out of the quad

Old 07-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes they had cam issues on the early Scramblers,but don't think that's the problem of over heating. Pull the radiator cap,elevate the front end and let the engine run and fan cycle on and off. Should see coolant moving in the radiator a little plus check for any leaks under the water pump housing or elsewhere. Could be a trapped air issue if the coolant level drops in the radiator. May just need to be topped off after that. Also something simple as needing a new 13 psi radiator cap could be the problem. If the fan doesn't kick on,could be a faulty radiator sensor or the fan circuit breaker under the front panel causing this which can cause one to overheat.This was one of the last models to have the sensor at the top of the radiator and could short out if coolant got too low stopping the fan from operating. Item #15 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse And yes if coolant has run low long enough it can melt an impeller from cavitation. Just check the fan operation and for any trapped air or leaking first.
hey guys i did what you said i let it idle for like 15 mins just seen air bubbles in the rad and some squrting it kept filling up nothing went down it over flowed a couple times not a major over flow just little bits i was using a syring to lower it abit so it dident go all over my floor im so lost

Old 07-25-2015, 01:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friends 700 Sportsman was over heating and over flowing and steaming from the overflow bottle due to baked hard mud in the rad fins.
The bottom of the rad looked ok but the top half which was hard to see was jammed tight with baked mud.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's bubbling then it still has air. Try squeezing the hoses and lifting the machine a little higher to see if it helps. You can do a pressure test on the cooling system and see if it holds 10 psi. This way you can tell if its in the cooling system sucking air or a small leak somewhere. Also again doesn't happen often but impellers can melt from cavitation and heat or the nut can back off causing flow problems.Plus yes what TLC said on the radiator behind the fan. Another common area that people over look.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If it's bubbling then it still has air. Try squeezing the hoses and lifting the machine a little higher to see if it helps. You can do a pressure test on the cooling system and see if it holds 10 psi. This way you can tell if its in the cooling system sucking air or a small leak somewhere. Also again doesn't happen often but impellers can melt from cavitation and heat or the nut can back off causing flow problems.Plus yes what TLC said on the radiator behind the fan. Another common area that people over look.
not sure on how to do that how could i post a photo to show you a pic of the rad

Old 07-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

basically what they are saying about the rad being blocked would be on the fan side. if you look at the rear side of rad and it has mud packed in the fins then it could be part of the reason off the over heating. also as opt mentioned if there is any air in the system it will cause over heating as well. if you carefully run your hands up and down the hoses from the engine it should be the same hotness to see if the impeller is working or not and to see if the coolant is circulating.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
My friends 700 Sportsman was over heating and over flowing and steaming from the overflow bottle due to baked hard mud in the rad fins.
The bottom of the rad looked ok but the top half which was hard to see was jammed tight with baked mud.
yes this may be what is happening id like to post a pic to show you guys what it looks like to get your oppinion on if you think its to dirty or maby im just hoping for a simple souloution lol if you know how to post a pic let me know and i willl

Old 07-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by stendori
basically what they are saying about the rad being blocked would be on the fan side. if you look at the rear side of rad and it has mud packed in the fins then it could be part of the reason off the over heating. also as opt mentioned if there is any air in the system it will cause over heating as well. if you carefully run your hands up and down the hoses from the engine it should be the same hotness to see if the impeller is working or not and to see if the coolant is circulating.
ok well yes on the rad on the fan side it dose have crushed fins some how and mud packed in some areas rad is lookng ruff i will go out side right now and check the hoses the ones from engine to rad right or no ?

Old 07-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by stendori
to be completely honest i dont evan think coolant is making it to the hose from rad to engine its a cleaar tube and i dont see anything
just looks empty my cool aslo boils in the rad when i come to a stop i hear a hissing sound ffrom rad no steam though

Quick Reply: PLZ HELP scrambler 500