Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PLZ HELP scrambler 500

Old 07-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stendori
basically what they are saying about the rad being blocked would be on the fan side. if you look at the rear side of rad and it has mud packed in the fins then it could be part of the reason off the over heating. also as opt mentioned if there is any air in the system it will cause over heating as well. if you carefully run your hands up and down the hoses from the engine it should be the same hotness to see if the impeller is working or not and to see if the coolant is circulating.
ok i was wrong its a big black hose its hard to tell about the heat cuz its right above the exuast pipe so its kinda making it hot but no leaks in it anyway i have been noticing a knocking noise coming from the right side of the machine behind the pull cord box would that be my impeller bouncing around in there broken ? its not coming from the cylender head its right behind the recoil box i was assuming it was just the recoil pecies bouncing around cuz i dont have the rope in there atm holding it tight but now im thinking it could be my impeller loose ? any ideas

Old 07-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by scram5050
to be completely honest i dont evan think coolant is making it to the hose from rad to engine its a cleaar tube and i dont see anything
just looks empty my cool aslo boils in the rad when i come to a stop i hear a hissing sound ffrom rad no steam though
?? You have a clear hose leading from the radiator to the water pump,not a regular radiator hose? Plus you never mentioned if the fan kicks on or off? Look at this parts diagram. Left radiator hose goes to the water pump,right hose is the return coolant line from the engine/thermostat. Has the small clear tube from the filler neck that goes to the recovery bottle.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Radiator sucks coolant from the bottle back into the radiator when needed, allows it to go back to the recovery bottle when radiator is overfull.Also a bad 13 psi radiator cap can cause coolant to spew from the recovery bottle.If it's boiling in the radiator and hoses aren't firm and same temperature as mentioned, may be an impeller issue not being able to push the coolant through the engine.Trying to help you figure out the problem whether it's a stopped up/muddy radiator,bad cap, or a melted impeller?

Old 07-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

ok i was wrong its a big black hose its hard to tell about the heat cuz its right above the exuast pipe so its kinda making it hot but no leaks in it anyway i have been noticing a knocking noise coming from the right side of the machine behind the pull cord box would that be my impeller bouncing around in there broken ? its not coming from the cylender head its right behind the recoil box i was assuming it was just the recoil pecies bouncing around cuz i dont have the rope in there atm holding it tight but now im thinking it could be my impeller loose ? any ideas
Just pull the w/p cover and check.If the impeller is ok,all you're out is the price of a new gasket.. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just pull the w/p cover and check.If the impeller is ok,all you're out is the price of a new gasket.. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
hey opt thanks for all the help this things falling apart as we speak lol i bought it for 900 expecting to put mney it over the winter i really like the quad so im gona try my best to figure everything out anyway..

after i talked you saying i was wrong about the black rad hose i found it connected to water pump so i loosened it to see if coolant is making to the pump and it is it poured out abit so i hooked it back up and right after i did that there was no more air bubbles in the rad while it idle so i thought hey some how i fixed it sure enough took it for a ride i did NOT fix it lol so on home i went cuz it started overheating and spraying out the coolant jug when i get home my fan is on so yes it dose work and works all the time sorry for not mentioning it earlier anyway.. i turn the bike off let it sit for acouple minutes go to turn it back on now my battery is dead my luck i dont what is happening to this thing i used my multi meter to check voltage right now its at 9 v not enough to evan turn starter over just hear a click right now its recharging itself some how when the quad is off the battery is climing its way up to 11 v right now i dont know how it died in th first place just went for a short 2 min ride maby from all the idleing today and no driving ?

and yes will take pump cover off in the morning and let you know what it looks like in there

Old 07-26-2015, 06:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Before you tear anything apart charge the battery fully.If in doubt about the condition of the battery have it load tested,replace it if necessary. Crank it up and see if it's charging around 14-14.5 volts back to the battery. If it's only showing battery voltage or less when the engine rpms are above an idle, could be the regulator rectifier is faulty or maybe a wire has come loose. Not enough voltage can keep fans from operating properly also which can lead to over heating. Batteries that have shorted cells or faulty regulators can cause all sorts of problems. Just check this out. Plus here's a cheap regulator if you need one.Rectifier Regulator Fits Polaris ATV Scrambler 500 97 02 New | eBay

Old 07-26-2015, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

Before you tear anything apart charge the battery fully.If in doubt about the condition of the battery have it load tested,replace it if necessary. Crank it up and see if it's charging around 14-14.5 volts back to the battery. If it's only showing battery voltage or less when the engine rpms are above an idle, could be the regulator rectifier is faulty or maybe a wire has come loose. Not enough voltage can keep fans from operating properly also which can lead to over heating. Batteries that have shorted cells or faulty regulators can cause all sorts of problems. Just check this out. Plus here's a cheap regulator if you need one.Rectifier Regulator Fits Polaris ATV Scrambler 500 97 02 New | eBay
hey there i have it on charge should be done soon its at 11 v now couple mre hrs well im waiting can i ask you 1 quick question ?
with all the problems im having regarding over heating is that the cause of my quad bogging out when its start spraying coolant that s when it usally starts bogging can that be the cause or do i have another issue on my hands just thought id ask while im waiting

Old 07-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the battery can't hold a charge or the/regulator rectifier can't supply enough voltage to keep the battery charged,the fan may not operate properly or long enough,the battery will drain down. Yes it can cause some of the problems you're having. Just eliminate the battery and regulator as a problem,then if still having problems move on the next area to check out. It's just a process of elimination until you find out what's wrong. A good manual can help you in many ways.2002 Polaris Scrambler 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 07-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

If the battery can't hold a charge or the/regulator rectifier can't supply enough voltage to keep the battery charged,the fan may not operate properly or long enough,the battery will drain down. Yes it can cause some of the problems you're having. Just eliminate the battery and regulator as a problem,then if still having problems move on the next area to check out. It's just a process of elimination until you find out what's wrong. A good manual can help you in many ways.2002 Polaris Scrambler 500 Service Manual PDF Download
hey battery finished quicker then i thought its sitting at 12.61 volts

and ok what i ment was could the quad overheating cause it to bog and run like crap when its hot today was the first battery issue usally its fine what i ment to say was when the quad starts its over heating issue it boggs down and stuff can over heating cause it to start bogging whie hot and not run good cuz i can come home shut it off let it sit for about 2 houres and it runs mint again untill it over heats then the bogg comes bback

Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

hey battery finished quicker then i thought its sitting at 12.61 volts
Now have the battery load tested! It can show fully charged but voltage can drop like a rock when under a load if it has an open cell. Plus check that when running it's charging at least 14-14.5 volts back to the battery to indicate that the regulator is ok.. Don't skip this step.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Range Rover

Now have the battery load tested! It can show fully charged but voltage can drop like a rock when under a load if it has an open cell. Plus check that when running it's charging at least 14-14.5 volts back to the battery to indicate that the regulator is ok.. Don't skip this step.
hey just turned it on and put volt meter on it it droped from 12.57 to 12.40 and if i hit the throttle it would go a little lower

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLZ HELP scrambler 500