PLZ HELP scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLZ HELP scrambler 500

hi there

i have a 2000 polaris scrambler 500 here is the problem
when i start it up it starts perfect idles revs excelent when i take off it drives perfect for about 15 20 mins depending how hot it is outside.. then once hot it starts spraying coolent out of the coolent jug then it starts loosing power bogging when i go about half throttle at that point i choose to drive home and i can drive home perfect with no bog under half throttle if i go over half throttle it keeps bogging and somtimes back fires if i really push it
ANY responce would be amazing im really stuck here

Old 07-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

are you sure ur impeller isnt shredded, therefore, not circulating coolant...

Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 AM
Range Rover

so you think over heating ?
i would have to check that would the impeller being shreaded cause my bog ?
and i will have to check that... i was reading about these modles having cam shaft issues but im hoping this isent the case

Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it's spitting out coolant then it has an overheating issue. if the water pump stop working it wouldn't take very long to over heat but that wouldn't change on the amount of throttle you gave it. imo

Old 07-25-2015, 05:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes they had cam issues on the early Scramblers,but don't think that's the problem of over heating. Pull the radiator cap,elevate the front end and let the engine run and fan cycle on and off. Should see coolant moving in the radiator a little plus check for any leaks under the water pump housing or elsewhere. Could be a trapped air issue if the coolant level drops in the radiator. May just need to be topped off after that. Also something simple as needing a new 13 psi radiator cap could be the problem. If the fan doesn't kick on,could be a faulty radiator sensor or the fan circuit breaker under the front panel causing this which can cause one to overheat.This was one of the last models to have the sensor at the top of the radiator and could short out if coolant got too low stopping the fan from operating. Item #15 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse And yes if coolant has run low long enough it can melt an impeller from cavitation. Just check the fan operation and for any trapped air or leaking first.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 AM
Range Rover

hey guys thanks for replying im glad you dont think its a cam issue pheeww lol ...
i went out and looked for coolant leakes with a flash light i dident see any now is the water pump on the left side of the quad or the right side ? and thank you opt i will try doing that after lunch would be a easy fix ... i dident know over heating would cause a quad to start bogging thats why i was so lost as to whats going on here

Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Range Rover

stendori i usally bring it back right away as soon as i feel it losing power ... now the first time it happend i had no idea what was going on so i kept riding thinking it was a blocked jet or somthing i kept givin er for a extra 20 mins and at that point i guess it was so hot it dident matter how much throttle i gave it bogged no matter if i tapped the throttle or gave it full i guess it was so over heated

Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

ur pump is on the right side if you are sitting on the machine, just follow the rad. lines...its in like a circular housing with the hoses coming from it, but like opt said, check for air

Old 07-25-2015, 08:52 AM
Range Rover

1ArmBandit thank you .....and forgot to mention my fan dose work great comes on and off as needed i just noticed my rad looks like crap tho some fins bent looks kinda dirty also i just bought this bike a week ago so im new to it never relly owned a liqude cooled before guy said nothing was wrong with it well i guess there is lol

Old 07-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

hey guys i did what you said i let it idle for like 15 mins just seen air bubbles in the rad and some squrting it kept filling up nothing went down it over flowed a couple times not a major over flow just little bits i was using a syring to lower it abit so it dident go all over my floor im so lost

Quick Reply: PLZ HELP scrambler 500