Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Polaris Sportsman 800x2 losing power

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Crank it up,pull the seat,wiggle the wiring from the tps sensor also along with the wiring from the tbap even though you have the new kit. You might get lucky and find where the problem is. Found quite a few shorts this way. Plus check the crank position sensor harness that runs under the throttle body. Had a few that would rub against the starter intermittently and ground out the ignition. Not a bad idea on this to zip tie the harness and connector up away from contacting the engine.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I think I'm about fixed....hopefully. Anyway, to run down what I have done.
  • New wiring harness for the T-BAP from OTB
  • New T-BAP Sensor
  • Exhaust painted with high temp header paint and wrapped with titanium heat wrap
  • Complete wiring harness gone through and tested for shorts/broken wires
  • Fuel pump replaced (HighFlow Fuel with a lifetime warranty $70)(which I messed up my fuel sending unit and now my gauge flashes on and off...but I will fix that)
  • Air filter replaced
  • Checked for cracks on and around intake assembly

Took it for a ride yesterday, quite a bit of slow riding which really tends to heat these up. Anyway, she seemed to run flawlessly until I tried to check my fuel level, while sitting at an idle, by removing my gas cap while it was running. When I did that the rpm went way low and then she died. Also noticed that when I removed the gas cap, there was quite a bit of pressure released. My first thought was that my vent lines were plugged. I took the headlight cover off to expose my vent lines and pulled it apart from the T joints and proceeded to test every leg of the venting system. Everything was clear and able to be blown through and with the gas cap on and the engine running there was obvious pressure release coming through the lines. I also noticed with the gas cap removed when I would turn the key on and the pump would engage, it was like an aerator was in the tank. I'm not 100% sure how the fuel pump/pressure regulator work, but from I seen it looks like the pressure regulator has a "blow by" of sorts that allows excess pressure from the pump to be released back into the tank. Anyway, although the machine ran fine the whole time, it concerned me about the excess gas venting while it was hot. I can only assume that this is from the heat that rises from the jug and the exhaust, which by the way, I don't think the heat wrap on the exhaust was anything but a waste of $60. The heat is still extreme coming from the exhaust when in slow riding conditions. Not sure if there are any questions here, but rather more an update of "progress". Although I am concerned about the venting on the tank.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

May just be pressure building up when riding slow from the heat even with the venting ok. Have read several posts on this to where it seemed like fuel was bubbling. Some have added extra heat shielding under the tank itself along with shielding the exhaust systems that most said helped.Even having it reflashed at a dealer may help if the engine is running too lean. We had to reflash a few of the 800s where exhausts would glow red especially if driven slow.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
May just be pressure building up when riding slow from the heat even with the venting ok. Have read several posts on this to where it seemed like fuel was bubbling. Some have added extra heat shielding under the tank itself along with shielding the exhaust systems that most said helped.Even having it reflashed at a dealer may help if the engine is running too lean. We had to reflash a few of the 800s where exhausts would glow red especially if driven slow.
Thanks for the advice.
I will give the reflash a try. Hopefully that helps with the heat as it is almost unbearable to ride at times. (I am usually wearing shorts).
One other thing I forgot to mention, occasionally when riding on the road, when I decelerate, I get a backfire.(pop through the exhaust) I'm thinking this may be due to a leak in the donut gasket right off the header.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the exhaust gasket at the head is burnt and leaking or the donut at the elbow is leaking this in itself can cause it to suck cold air in and may cause some of the lean running condition also.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ignition key chain?

I was having similar problems with my 2007 800X2 on right turns (occasionally left turns too) where it would stall or lose power. I finally figured out it was the key chain dragging below the ignition when I'd turn right! It was momentarily turning the ignition off then back on. It baffled me for months. I removed the key chain/fob and never had another issue.

Steve

Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Scbishop
I was having similar problems with my 2007 800X2 on right turns (occasionally left turns too) where it would stall or lose power. I finally figured out it was the key chain dragging below the ignition when I'd turn right! It was momentarily turning the ignition off then back on. It baffled me for months. I removed the key chain/fob and never had another issue.

Steve
Don't know how many people have had that problem over the years. Just use the key fob and no key chain.