Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to install a decompression lever in cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install a decompression lever in cam?

I got my new cam in and got all the timing right. I pulled it over and once it hits the compression stroke its next to impossible to pull. Which means i didn't install the lever in camshaft right. I tried to do it how the manual shows it but the pictures aren't clear. Can anyone explain how it goes and how the little spring is put on?

Also i noticed when i crank my quad over the oil lubricates the camshaft and then it puddles down near the exhaust valves, is that normal?

Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Have the cam exhaust lobe pointing up with the detent ball facing down.Pull the detent lever out a little if you have to. Won't hurt it. Have the small end of the spring under the stop pin,slide the detent lever back in and the long end of the spring fits in the grooved area.After this you should be able to push the lever down and it should spring back up against the stop pin. Really nothing to it,but if not right YES it can cause problems on starting and using the recoil starter is almost impossible. Funny how one little device can make this much difference. Plus normal for a little oil to puddle in this area because it is angled forward.

Attached Thumbnails How to install a decompression lever in cam?-ff1tv7.jpg