Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 Magnum 425 4x4 choke

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Magnum 425 4x4 choke

Hello everyone hope all is well. I am trying to repair a 96 magnum 425 for a freind and can't seem to get the choke plunger out of the carb. Do these have a history of sticking? Any tricks to getting it out or just yank it out? Thank you for any and all replies.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The brass plunger can stick over time if not used that often.Best to take the carb top cap off,remove the diaphragm/slide assy and you can see the end of the brass in the choke circuit pathway. Use a little PB Blaster,Liquid Wrench,etc and spray inside and though the out side opening. May take a little pulling,but be careful. Also a heat gun can help and "IF" you're real careful,a small pick to see if you can start to pry the brass piece back a little without damaging it. Just take your time on this and you can usually get it out without destroying it. After it's out,clean the fitting and choke circuit area good with carb cleaner.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you very much for the suggestion Old Polaris Tech. Will do that and report back.
Dave

Old 08-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Trailblazer

Well removed diaphram/slide assy and choke plunger moved freely. Unscrewed choke adjustment screw from carb but as soon as the threads clear the carb thats it, it won't come out any further. I'll see if I can get to all the jets with the choke still attached. The problems we were having with it was it would idle fine but as soon as you hit the throttle it would bog down and back fire. Plus it would only work in 2 wheel drive, could that be because the battery is dead?Also can i get to the cam w/o plulling the motor?
Dave

Old 08-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by snake99
Well removed diaphram/slide assy and choke plunger moved freely. Unscrewed choke adjustment screw from carb but as soon as the threads clear the carb thats it, it won't come out any further. I'll see if I can get to all the jets with the choke still attached. The problems we were having with it was it would idle fine but as soon as you hit the throttle it would bog down and back fire. Plus it would only work in 2 wheel drive, could that be because the battery is dead?Also can i get to the cam w/o plulling the motor?
Dave
Have to have the battery for the awd to operate along with the fan,lights,starter,etc. Yes you can pull the cam if the exhaust lobe is damaged with out having to pull the engine,but best to have the manual to help if you're not familiar with this engine.DOWNLOAD 1985-1995 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...

Old 08-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you for the link to the manual. Thats what i thought about the battery.
From what I have read on this forum the cam is probably shot since this machine has had little maintenance in 20 years. When I took the diaphram off it was pretty dirty in there.
Dave

Old 08-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the exhaust cam lobe looks like this one,then time to replace it. Most would idle good,but back fire when you gave them throttle.Bad Cam Pic - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 08-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

My symptoms are exactly as Justjoe described in his post from the link you posted so I'm sure that is what I will find when I get the cover off.
Thanks again opt.
Dave

Old 09-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Got to workin on the 425 tonight and apparently someone has worked on this before because the plug from the air screw was gone. When I turned it in it went in 7 turns could that be the cause of my bog and backfire?
Dave

Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by snake99
Got to workin on the 425 tonight and apparently someone has worked on this before because the plug from the air screw was gone. When I turned it in it went in 7 turns could that be the cause of my bog and backfire?
Dave
7 turns out.. This is the pilot adjuster or fuel screw as many call it not an air screw. Mainly for idle to 1/4 throttle. Set it at 2 1/2 turns out from a lightly seated postion and go from there.After it warms up you can fine tune the idle screw with a small screw driver or carb adjuster tool if you have one.Probably bogging down from too much fuel.

Quick Reply: 95 Magnum 425 4x4 choke