Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Xplorer 300 4x4 no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Triplets Dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Xplorer 300 4x4 no start

Hello everyone,
New to the site so please forgive me if I am asking about something that has already been answered. The Xplorer was running fine when my son parked it a few days ago. I went to start it with no luck. Checked all the common areas.....good spark, removed and rebuilt/cleaned the carb, checked compression (120 psi). Here is the odd part; with the air cleaner off there is a mist being pushed out the wrong way out of the carb. If I can get some fuel on top of the piston, it will sputter. Doesn't seem to be any reed valves from what I can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and my sons. LOL

Old 09-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No reed valves as it's a piston port engine as carb sprays gas/air mixture straight into the engine. If fuel is spitting back most of the time this is because it can't ignite and the raw mixture is just forced out the back of the carb. Main reason for this is low compression most of the time. 120 psi compression is getting down to the minimum needed to run properly. Another reason can be loss of spark or if the crank seal behind the drive clutch has popped out,then no way the fuel/air mixture can compress under the piston,shoot through the transfer ports for ignition.If it's still getting spark,you might want to pull the clutch cover and drive clutch to check if the seal has popped out or leaking around it. They have to have good top end compression along with a tightly sealed bottom end so the mixture can atomize properly to fire. Here's a basic video on how this 2 stroke engine works.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Triplets Dad

Thank you very much for such a quick reply. Crank seal is next on my list to check and will update with my results.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Triplets Dad

I can't thank you enough. The crank seal was out on the clutch shaft. Tapped it back in and the machine fired right up. Going to get some new parts so hopefully this won't happen again any time soon.