Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 sportsman efi 700 - boiling fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 sportsman efi 700 - boiling fuel?

It appears that after a decent ride, my fuel sounds like it is boiling. Any ideas what could cause that? I open the fuel cap and it spirts out fuel and when you place your hand over the fuel fill with the cap off you can feel heat exiting the tank

Old 09-07-2015, 05:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure the tank is venting ok. Had a tee with a check valves. Never really cared for this setup. If you wish you can remove the tee and run the vent line down the steering post.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Another thing that people did was to add extra foil insulation under the tank to help protect more from the exhaust heat plus some even went to exhaust wraps.Last resort you might have a dealer reflash the ecm,make make it run it a little richer and cooler.We had to do this on several 800s that ran so lean the exhaust would glow red from running too lean.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Tks for the quick reply. I looked at the tank and it already has some heat tape on it. Should I add additional? Also after getting the plastics off, I found that the vent tubing is compressed and doesn't allow anything to pass through . I removed it and will replace it. No tee on mine, should there have been one? Also any ideas on how to get the tubing back down the column? Pretty tight bend to get it in there. Tks

Old 09-08-2015, 04:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by PrairieDog126
I looked at the tank and it already has some heat tape on it. Should I add additional? Also after getting the plastics off, I found that the vent tubing is compressed and doesn't allow anything to pass through .
People have added foil insulation to the tank over the existing insulation. Vent tube being compressed or flattened maybe your main problem.If you can't work a new line into the steering post without kinking it,just let it hang over the tank a little and duct tape it in place.As far as the tee and one way check valves,probably have vibrated off like many have done. Good riddance to both.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

Tks opt. Rerouted vent, we will see how it goes. I also noticed that the fuel gauge isn't accurate, reads 1/2 tank and its almost empty . Any ideas on that? Tks again

Old 09-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Never trusted any of the fuel gauges partly because of the way the tank drops. It has more fuel in it than you might think also because you can't see it because of the front drop in the tank. Plus can't remember on this one if it has the float arm that sometimes can hit the side of the tank and stick or if it has the internal float built into the pump assy. Guess I'm getting too old..Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Buy some snot 3M™ SUPER WEATHER STRIP ADHESIVE from Aircraft Spruce. It's green and will stick anything, we used it on 500 mph airplanes. I understand NAPA auto has muffler wrap which I will buy this week if they do. Polaris did some crummy work on ATVs. My plastic is melted in a 50 cent size spot (750 Sportsman) and I am only at 60 hr. I am really upset with the shoddy things I had to have fixed and would rather do it myself because they always give you the excuse "We are just too busy to get to it!"