Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

quick question about polaris trailboss 250 e/s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 PM
TJM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about polaris trailboss 250 e/s

So I realized I flooded the engine. I cleared that issue. I just put fresh gas in the quad with proper 2 stroke oil. I put the spark plug back on and took my torch drill and cranked it. It turned over for about a minute but it didn't catch and actually start up. I saw exhaust piping out of the engine.

I looked at the fuel line and realized when I put it on only like 30 ML of gas was in the line at the carb. After cranking it with the drill this gas was gone and it no longer cranked. So I looked in the tank and saw the nozzle inside wasn't covered with gas so I put more in it, and it flowed through the line into the carb.

The dang carb was leaking out the overflow again! I know the problem must be the float arm or the floats themselves, the only pieces that I didn't replace when I rebuilt the carb. The engine wont even crank now with the drill. It spins around once, stops, and it takes a few seconds for the crank shaft to spin around again.

So I took off the spark plug and used the drill again to crank it to see if the engine was flooded, because I saw gas dripping out. It cranked no issue with the spark plug off.

So here is my question. I think I already know the answer and its probably yes. Does the battery need to be attached to the electrical system so when I crank it, it sparks and begins combustion? I'm pretty sure when I first got the quad I had no battery attached to it and it started up.

Is this a common problem that when the carb is flooded and starts leaking that the crank shaft wont turn over? Because it was turning over just fine when I only had 30mL of gas in the line, it just wouldn't catch and start up.

I don't think the engine is flooded because no gas is squirting out when I take off the spark plug and turn the crank shaft. I'm going to take the carb of and see if the float arm is parallel to the carb base. How can I tell of the floats themselves are bad? And can I start the quad up at all without the battery hooked up?

Old 10-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On these old magneto triggered models you don't have to have the battery for ignition,but if you don't have a battery the charge from the regulator has to go somewhere besides keeping a battery charged. This voltage can blow out lights as the current can travel first to items with the least electrical resistance and that is the light bulbs and can possibly damage electrical components.In other words the battery is only for the starter,lights etc,but needs to be hooked up. Even better if you have the starter so you don't have to try to use a drill to turn the engine over if the recoil is missing or broken also..
Before you go all nuts over the carb,I'd try to be able to get a good compression reading as that's the most important thing.Manuals call for a minimum of 100 psi,but that's really pushing the limit. Plus here's the carb section from the manual that can help.You have the old vm 28 or 30 Mikuni carb that's common on a lot of older engines like yours. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA If the float arm or float pin are worn you can get them from a later model 250 as they're all the same.That is if compression is decent enough first. Items#28,29 in this parts break down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus another thing most people over look is crank seals. If they're leaking no matter how good the compression is they wont run or wont run decent.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:59 PM
TJM
Weekend Warrior

I have a PSI pressure gauge. Cruddy thing is, I cant put it on because its too short. Maybe I have a hose I can use.

Are you saying I can somehow turn the engine over without using the drill when I don't have a pull start, or a battery connected? If so that'd be awesome. I broke my drill trying to crank the bike hundreds of times. Thing wont even turn on anymore

I'll see what I can do about checking the compression. I already said screw it and put an ad on craigslist to sell this thing. I guess I'll toy around with it first. I don't have any bolts to screw on the leads from the bikes wire harness to the battery. Connecting the battery is out of the question unless I can find something in my garage to screw it on. I have tons of bolts, screws, and nuts.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No,you need the battery and a working starter...

Old 10-01-2015, 06:15 PM
TJM
Weekend Warrior

Meh, I thought so, I just had my hopes up. Maybe my battery is just dead. I have a battery charger so I'll throw it on that for 40 minutes and see what I can do. I'll have to find something to bold the leads onto the battery in the meantime. Do I need a nut and a bolt? Or can I just screw on some bolts if I find a short enough bolt.

^
NOPE! Screw that. It was on the charge for 5 minutes and it sounds like the darn thing was boiling. It's outside now. I'm done lol.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like ebay time..

Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 PM
TJM
Weekend Warrior

Oh yeah. She's already on craigslist. I got it free so its all profit anyways. I'll drop a few grand on a brand new one and take a entry mechanics course so I can learn how to take care of it.

I might not even sell it. I might just melt it down in my back yard to take out my frustration on it.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by TJM

I might not even sell it. I might just melt it down in my back yard to take out my frustration on it.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 PM
TJM
Weekend Warrior

I'm trying to get into the scraping business to purify gold from scrap parts and all that. So it'll be good practice =D