Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 Sportsman Creeping

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Sportsman Creeping

So my bike is a 2007 Sportsman 500 X2. It has 6852 miles on it and has been used for a lot of towing. (heavier towing then what should be done with a belt driven machine IMO) So the bike is stock and has never had a clutch problem or rebuild before. I've checked and adjusted motor mounts as well as added and removed spacers from behind the secondary clutch in my attempt to solve the creeping issue. Also checked idle and it idles at 1150-1170 rpm From what I've read on here and from several you tube videos I have learned how to remove the primary (drive) clutch and disassemble it. Given the number of miles it is safe to say that I need at very least a clutch rebuild kit. Buttons and weights are all very sloppy. However I don't know if it is worth it because I think the inner sheave of the primary may be damaged. There seems to be some pitting about an 1/8 of an inch from the one way bearing.
Can someone tell me if this would cause the creeping? The other issue is that the one way bearing seems to be ceased. This is the first CVT I have ever worked on so I don't know a lot about it. I assume that the one way bearing should turn freely in one direction on the shaft. It doesn't. From the parts diagram I see that there should be a Vespel washer between the one way and the inner sheave but I don't see that and the one way appears to have worn into the sheave. I would like to know how to remove the ceased one way. Is it even worth it given the condition of the sheave.
Thanks

Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Cheaper to rebuilt than to replace a 430 dollar clutch. You probably can clean up the sheath with some emory cloth.This looks more like melted residue from the fiber washer. Plus all depends on what the guide towers look like where the buttons ride. If deeply grooved then replacing the clutch might be best. Also the plain bearings need to be replace with that much time on them. Your call on this.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 10-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So with some heat I was able to get the one way off of the shaft. The seal on the end of one way had mushroomed against the sheave and was pinching on the shaft. That is why it would not turn or come off easily. The one way appears to have also cut into the inner sheave.The marking on the shaft is definitely pitting and not melted fiber washer. The guide towers are also worn so I've decided to shop for a new clutch. A new Polaris clutch with weights is going cost $700 CAD. Is there anyone that would make an aftermarket clutch for my machine? What would you all recommend?

One way in foreground, shaft and inner sheave in background with washer in grove worn by one way.