Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Pull start recoil sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Pull start recoil sticking

I have an issue with a new pull start assembly.
I have put it together correctly, but when I snug down the bolt the plastic reel starts to stick or catch the metal holding plate causing it to hang and not retract and also to loosen the bolt.
The kit came with a new bolt and locking waher. I'm guessing the bolt shouldn't be tightened down too much and maybe use locktite as well. Just snug the bolt up a little where the reel is free to move and let the locktite setup before using..?
Or should the bolt be tightened down?

Any assistance would be great.
thanks

Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

A good film of grease needs to be applied the back of the metal plate,friction spring( wishbone spring) as some call it and the ratchet that engages the flywheel cup. The 10mm bolt needs to have locktite,but tighten this bolt first until the reel sticks,then slowly back off the bolt until it operates freely.The locktite will dry and keep the bolt from loosening.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My bolt use to vibrate out and the locktite did the trick. Use the lockite that can be removed in case you have to change the rope or spring down the road.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the blue stuff any place I use Loctite. I use it for guns too, like on scope mounts.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

thanks,
locktite did the trick.. just snugged it down and back it off a bit til it spun freely.. let it setup and works like it should.

figure, they would design it with more clearance.

hopefully I don't have to use it. first pull works if she's warm.
if she's cold.. that pull isn't going to do it..

Old 01-06-2021, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Check for correct bolt length

Originally Posted by m2cyclone
I have an issue with a new pull start assembly.
I have put it together correctly, but when I snug down the bolt the plastic reel starts to stick or catch the metal holding plate causing it to hang and not retract and also to loosen the bolt.
The kit came with a new bolt and locking waher. I'm guessing the bolt shouldn't be tightened down too much and maybe use locktite as well. Just snug the bolt up a little where the reel is free to move and let the locktite setup before using..?
Or should the bolt be tightened down?

Any assistance would be great.
thanks
I have a 1996 Sportsman 500. My problem was if you tightened the bolt too tight, the rope would't retract. If you left the bolt too loose, the latch would not fly out and the bolt would back out. The solution: realize that someone had rebuilt the recoil assembly with THE WRONG LENGTH BOLT holding it all together. The bolt was too short (5/8"). I believe the correct bolt is slightly longer (3/4") and it makes a HUGE difference. Now I can make the bolt tight, everything works, and the rope recoils back in every time and the bolt does not back out. added some blue locktite for good measure.