Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ready to jump ship!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If that's the case you might as well take half of the atvs apart as several brands are made there now as well as a lot of cars and trucks.Even my son's Gmc truck came from Mexico. I'd hate to have to take a new Silverado a part and put it back together,think I'll keep hanging on to my old 2000 model that was made in Indiana as long as it holds together..
My GMC 2500 was made in Mexico. Had thousands of dollars of issues with it. Ford made in Canada wasn't much better. Nissan made in the USA has been very good.

Polaris Sportsman X2 made in the USA back in 2006 had zero issues at purchase and very reliable. Minor issues other than me slamming my rear transaxle on rock so hard me teeth slammed together. 2012 Can-Am made in Mexico had an improperly stapled seat that caused the cover to come off. Over torqued bolts was the only other issue. It's also been very reliable. Both quads take/took a beating here in New England with riding in all 4 seasons.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that's the case you might as well take half of the atvs apart as several brands are made there now as well as a lot of cars and trucks.Even my son's Gmc truck came from Mexico. I'd hate to have to take a new Silverado a part and put it back together,think I'll keep hanging on to my old 2000 model that was made in Indiana as long as it holds together..

besides can-am, who else has a factory in mexico that makes quads? most of the japs have factories right here in the usa and are more reliable

Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by atvcollector
besides can-am, who else has a factory in mexico that makes quads? most of the japs have factories right here in the usa and are more reliable
It's not really where they're made,but the quality of the parts that are in the blame things today.. Switches,sensors,wiring,etc made in Mexico,China,India.Especially China that took over actually decent products from Taiwan and elsewhere. That's the part that's frustrating. You can have quality facilities and a well trained work force anywhere,but if a lot of the parts are sub par,doomed to fail,that reflects on an entire product line. I went through that on the Chinese ecm modules that Polaris sourced.Blame it on globalization,greed,etc.But you can look at other models that are doing the same thing. That's like the old dependable Delco parts that used to be in GM products for years that were made in the US. Hard to even find anything US made.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

It's not really where they're made,but the quality of the parts that are in the blame things today.. Switches,sensors,wiring,etc made in Mexico,China,India.Especially China that took over actually decent products from Taiwan and elsewhere. That's the part that's frustrating. You can have quality facilities and a well trained work force anywhere,but if a lot of the parts are sub par,doomed to fail,that reflects on an entire product line. I went through that on the Chinese ecm modules that Polaris sourced.Blame it on globalization,greed,etc.But you can look at other models that are doing the same thing. That's like the old dependable Delco parts that used to be in GM products for years that were made in the US. Hard to even find anything US made.

yeah even though all the Japanese have factories here, im sure a lot of stuff is outsourced and junk. its not about the product anymore, the good days are gone

Old 10-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You would think a brand new machine would have zero issues but I guess that just isn't the case anymore. Especially with how expensive they are. I remember when $6000 was a ton of money to spend on a new quad, you could get a new Grizzly 660 for that way back in the day. Now the premium models exceed $10000 and many a lot more. The short manufacturers warranties are a bit of a joke. 6 months is barely enough time to get a machine broken in, much less find out if it is durable. 3 years should be standard at least and it would show confidence in their product. If you really feel you build a quality product, then your customer should never have to bring it in for warranty service, right? They're still just limited warranties so obvious abuse will not be covered. Its those gray instances where its unclear that it was a manufacturing defect or misuse by the customer that always cause problems.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been telling Polaris that for years greg74! I get there is always the potential for some issues/ missed things during production but back them up with a good warranty and make it right. OPT is spot on with some of the other issues due to many components being outsourced to places like China where quality control is almost non-existent.

As for getting my wife the 800 Renegade, I want her to have a bigger cc machine that can get through the mud/swamps/trails we ride with some "minor" modifications. Not going to get her another "value line" machine. If anything, I might keep my 1000 Scrambler for her after I sell her 570 and plunk my $ on a 2016 XMR 1000 since my Scrammy is already dialed in.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

I really wish you the best of luck with your new rides. As usual, we wont let you off that easy, you must come back here and give us reviews.

Are you getting DPS models? They have the visco lok QE, supposed to be a lot faster than the old Visco. One thing I love and respect about Can Am is the fact that they do not promote mystery fluids like Polaris, the tell you what grades and you can buy whatever brand you want.

I am thinking hard about a new Outty L 570 DPS to replace my Sportsman 400HO. I have a good dealer just norht of here, and after my first new atv (the 400HO) I feel more comfortable pulling plastics and looking the machine over.

Id love a UTV, but I refuse to spend over $10,000 on a ride, and wont buy used.

What angers me beyond is that some dealers do not actually do the PDI on a machine. This in itself makes the product look bad.

Gotta quash some rumours here. The only Polaris vehicles made in Mexico are Rangers for Export. Nothing else is made there.

Polaris off-road vehicle plant in Huntsville on schedule for January completion | AL.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaris_Industries

"On May 21, 2010, Polaris announced that it was opening a new manufacturing plant in Mexico. The sister facility in Osceola, WI still remains in full operation. The opening of the Monterrey, Mexico facility is anticipated to save the company $30 million annually, with most of that savings coming from lower wages.[8] The Monterrey facility has 3 assembly lines devoted to production of Ranger side-by-sides for global markets. The original intent of the Monterrey facility was to serve markets in the Southern US plus Mexico and South America. The announcement of the Huntsville, AL factory (which comes online in 2016) indicates that the Monterrey facility will primarily serve non-US markets."

Old 10-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
I really wish you the best of luck with your new rides. As usual, we wont let you off that easy, you must come back here and give us reviews.

Are you getting DPS models? They have the visco lok QE, supposed to be a lot faster than the old Visco. One thing I love and respect about Can Am is the fact that they do not promote mystery fluids like Polaris, the tell you what grades and you can buy whatever brand you want.

I am thinking hard about a new Outty L 570 DPS to replace my Sportsman 400HO. I have a good dealer just norht of here, and after my first new atv (the 400HO) I feel more comfortable pulling plastics and looking the machine over.

Id love a UTV, but I refuse to spend over $10,000 on a ride, and wont buy used.

What angers me beyond is that some dealers do not actually do the PDI on a machine. This in itself makes the product look bad.

Gotta quash some rumours here. The only Polaris vehicles made in Mexico are Rangers for Export. Nothing else is made there.

Polaris off-road vehicle plant in Huntsville on schedule for January completion | AL.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaris_Industries

"On May 21, 2010, Polaris announced that it was opening a new manufacturing plant in Mexico. The sister facility in Osceola, WI still remains in full operation. The opening of the Monterrey, Mexico facility is anticipated to save the company $30 million annually, with most of that savings coming from lower wages.[8] The Monterrey facility has 3 assembly lines devoted to production of Ranger side-by-sides for global markets. The original intent of the Monterrey facility was to serve markets in the Southern US plus Mexico and South America. The announcement of the Huntsville, AL factory (which comes online in 2016) indicates that the Monterrey facility will primarily serve non-US markets."
check out amsoil for oil alternatives, but yeah polaris is smooth with that aren't they? I could have sworn some people have had sportsmans that were made in mexico though

Old 10-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvcollector
check out amsoil for oil alternatives, but yeah polaris is smooth with that aren't they? I could have sworn some people have had sportsmans that were made in mexico though
Actually, funny you mentioned Amsoil. I have been running their chaincase lube for a while now, and have the new atv front drive fluid. Gonna try their new transmission/diff fluid.

Rotella T6 5w40 in the engine.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

yeah ive been seeing a lot of amsoil commercials, especially last night during the monster energy cup (supercross race) and that's definetly what i'll be using. right now I just have it in the engine, but next time I change the others it'll be amsoil

Quick Reply: Ready to jump ship!