Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ready to jump ship!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ready to jump ship!

Never thought I'd say it but ready to give up on Polaris. Unless you buy a top of the line machine (for top $) it's turning in to buyer beware. Bought my wife a brand new 570 Sportsman last year. Less than 200 miles on it and I've already had to replace a front axle and both rears (she doesn't beat it either). Both rears had the outer cv clamp slide off and trashed them before we caught it in time (didn't come undone-appears they weren't tightened enough at the factory). Brought it in to the service manager (always had great service from the dealer) and his only question was if it was still under warranty. It wasn't so I was S.O.L. Brought it to a couple of sales guys I know and told them to show it to the Rep next time he's in and let him know this is why I'm jumping ship.

Even my Scrambler 1000 has had issues. The oem front axles are junk and I replaced them with rhinos from SATV (no issues since), and plastic fan blade broke in two spots (solved that with radiator relocate).

Either way my plans are to sell the 570 and get my wife a Renegade 800 and probably selling my Scrambler in the Spring or trading it in on an XMR 1000 Outlander...

Old 10-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Good luck on your new machine..

Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry to hear that. It seems like the initial build quality has gone down. Who knows? Maybe it was a Monday or Friday built quad. Hope you like the Can-Ams. Other than a couple small errors by the Mexican builders, ours have bee pretty good.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought Polaris had mostly taken care of quality issues. For the most part I suppose this is the case but someone has to get the lemon. You apparently got 2 of them. Not tightening a clamp at the factory sounds like poor training to me on Polaris part. But I guess it happens. A machine less than a year old should only need gas and oil changes. Hopefully you can get most of your money back in trade in and get better luck out of Can-Am. Their level of quality seems to be better than Polaris. Its too bad both Yamaha and Honda don't make a high performance model. Going from a Scrambler 1000 to a Grizzly 700 would be a huge step down in power and something you would be immediately unsatisfied with. It would be very reliable but would lack the wow factor you're used to.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

face it. Polaris is all about selling there bikes and a lot of them, but there customer service and quality sucks now compared to years ago imo.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Was happy as could be in 2003 when Polaris got away from water craft and could concentrate on The Ranger and atvs.. Even several years later when you could still count all the different atv models on both hands,the Rangers,Rzrs on one hand,quality control was still evident. Now in 2016 with over 38 different atv models,20+ Rangers,Rzrs,throw in the odd ***** like the Slingshot and no way in the world can they over see quality control as they once did. I saw it happening over the years and then started seeing cutting corners on some models.This was evident in 2009 on the Sportsman 500 when recoils were replaced with "flywheel covers" If I was able to go back after being gone 5 years and working on them again,I'd be like a fish out of water. You need to have a mechanical and electrical engineering degree to work on them,a sociology degree to be able to interact with customers and your own psychiatrist after working hours.. To be fair though look at the lineup of the competitors. Probably not much better as all are vying for top dog.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you OPT! Definitely a big change in the last few years. Seems like a lot has gone downhill since @ 2010. I have a few friends with Renegade 800's so I'm sure my wife will love that machine and my Brother has an 1000 XMR which has been a great machine for him so far. I always try to stay brand loyal but not when they are putting out this kind of product. The Scrambler 1000 is still a great ride now that I have the kinks worked out of it but need more of a utility mud toy. If I'm going to plunk down over 14 grand on a machine I'm going to get the best bang for my buck and right now it's looking like the canned ham is putting out a better machine...

Old 10-16-2015, 09:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if you got her a Renegade 500(less money) it would still be about equal or better performance than the Sportsman 570. I wish they at least put some racks on the Renegade like the Scrambler has, even if they are small. At least a rear rack anyway but you can add one. At this point, Can-Am quality appears to be close to what Yamaha and Honda levels, or at least close enough to justify the extra performance. I have heard mixed reviews about warranty issues but if you have a good dealer that usually makes a big difference. I have a friend with a new 450L and he really likes it and it has surprising power for just being a 450cc single. A 500L might be another one you might consider for your wife that she might like if you can still find a 2015 model, the 2016's got bumped up to 570cc, same for the all the 500's but more power is always good. Unless of course you already told her she was getting a Renegade 800, you can't back off now lol.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don.t think minimum waged and Mexican minimum wage at that, care about how tight they put on cv boot clamps or anything else for that matter.

Best to buy a Polaris get it home then take it apart and put it back together yourself with loc-tite.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by TLC
I don.t think minimum waged and Mexican minimum wage at that, care about how tight they put on cv boot clamps or anything else for that matter.

Best to buy a Polaris get it home then take it apart and put it back together yourself with loc-tite.
If that's the case you might as well take half of the atvs apart as several brands are made there now as well as a lot of cars and trucks.Even my son's Gmc truck came from Mexico. I'd hate to have to take a new Silverado a part and put it back together,think I'll keep hanging on to my old 2000 model that was made in Indiana as long as it holds together..

Quick Reply: Ready to jump ship!