Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 efi sputtering and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Entirely possible, but check the wiring from the tps connector that goes into the main harness. If you find any bare or soft feeling wire there you might be able to fix it and get by without having to resort to having a new tps installed. Not sure if otb has a harness kit for this tps,but if you find that the problem is in the wiring,give them a shout. Only The Best

Old 11-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT
You have always been very responsive and resourceful to my posts.

I found online how to set the baseline and then adjust the idle screw from there to achieve the final tps reading. Just have to get the D shaped tool to adjust the idle screw.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...fi-models.html

Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Remember first take all cable pressure off the throttle body wheel,then turn the adjuster until it doesn't touch the butterfly valve. Then loosen the tps screws and set the base line to .528 vdc. I'd cross my fingers for you,but I can't..

Old 11-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

Well
Disconnected the throttle cable and took the idle screw all the way out. Adjusted tps to .528 on the nuts. Put in idle screw and turned until I hit .710. Fired up machine and still get an undershoot. If I rev it, let off the throttle it will sometimes undershoot by about 100-150 rpm so that it idles around 1000 rpm, then on its own it will come back to 1150-1200. Verified fuel pressure is at 40psi. I'm really starting to hate this machine.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you haven't cleaned the throttle body out with electrical contact cleaner especially around the butterfly and the shaft,you might try that and see if it helps,could be sticking. If no change then the idle drop could be from the spring inside the tps sensor when you first readjusted the tps. Doesn't take much to damage this sensor.Plus double check the throttle cable to make sure you have a little slack(1/8") on the thumb lever and the cable isn't binding leading to the throttle body. You also might try adjusting the throttle body adjuster up a tad say to .715 vdc and see how it does.Worst case scenario would be to replace the high dollar tps sensor and start from scratch. Both it and the throttle body have updated part numbers,but new part #'s don't always indicate a major change in the parts. Item#10. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Average rpm I usually had when set right was 1150-1180.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 11-30-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Rpm
Old 11-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

I cleaned the throttle while I was in there, it wasn't bad, I did it last year as preventative. I verified cable has about 1/8" play. I think I have another used tps I can try.

Can I do these to verify tps or tbap sensor/wiring?
1. Hook my meter up to the tps and see if the idle vdc is repeating or if they are fluctuating while machine is running.
2. Unhook the tps or tbap and see if issue still exists. Shouldn't the machine throw a code but go into a safety/default mode? If issue goes away its related to that sensor or sensors wiring. Or will this not work?

Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hook the harness back up to the tps and you can recheck that the voltage is smooth and doesn't jump as you slowly raise and lower the butterfly. If it does,the tps spring could be messed up. Found that quite a bit when people messed with tps settings. If the voltage drops and rises smoothly on the tps then check the connector and wiring leading down into the main harness. It can have the same faulty connector and wiring as the tbap can. You might even check continuity on the connector pins and wiring right before the leads go into the main harness to make sure.