Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 efi sputtering and stalling

Old 10-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 efi sputtering and stalling

2005 Sportsman 700 efi

Started sputtering and occasionally will stall.

I'll be driving around and it will get boggy, if I stop and come to an idle it will either low idle around 800 rpm or it will simply stall out. If it stalls out, I will start it and it will run fine immediately after. If it doesn't stall out the low idle will eventually clear itself within a few seconds. I can drive around fine for a bit then it will do it again. I have a flat 2 acre yard so I'm not working it hard. No warning lights showing on the display.

Things I've checked or done:
I have a fuel psi gage attached and when it sputters or stalls the psi remains around 38 psi
I checked the tps and it is at .710 dcv at idle
Pulled the plugs and they are golden brown
Fresh gas

Need help on what to do next??

Old 10-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Look over this "sticky" post on 700/800 efi problems.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ap-wiring.html It explains about the thin wiring and also the manual states that efi problems are 80% wiring related,not a problem with sensors themselves. It may or may not throw codes when this happens,but does sound like what happens with the t bap wiring harness or connector. Erratic idle,stalling,back firing is just some of the symptoms. You can look for any visible bare wires from the t bap sensor and also feel for any soft internally melted wires and the connector itself for any pins that may have pulled back a little. Polaris "repair kits" listed for these are junk! This you can trust me on because I replaced many over and over again. If it's a wiring problems,then this place has a lot better harness repair kits than Polaris has. First repair kit listed.Only The Best

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman 700 efi sputtering and stalling-connector.jpg  
Old 10-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks old tech, wasnt sure cause codes arent showing up. I ordered the recommended connector, hopefully it fixes my issues.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by mopar4u
Thanks old tech, wasnt sure cause codes arent showing up. I ordered the recommended connector, hopefully it fixes my issues.
Most of the time I never had codes show up when it was a t bap wiring problem. Hope the otb repair kit solves the problem. Keep us updated.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my 2005 70EFI .. It was the wiring harness as explained by the tech.. Resolved my issue.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

I've got about 30 minutes on the new tbap wring so far and no issues. I'm cautiously optimistic that this fixed the problem. When I took the old one off someone else had either replaced with the Polaris kit or repaired the wiring of the original. I didn't see anything obvious when I cut the old one out.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

When I took the old one off someone else had either replaced with the Polaris kit or repaired the wiring of the original.
Either one is a good enough reason why it failed. Either someones' rigging on the wiring or a crappy Polaris harness kit. Hopefully the better harness and connector solves the problem permanently for you.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

I took my 700 out today, first time since my last post and it started doing it again. Its colder out 22deg out. Can tps affect this? I remember last year when I first moved the tps it was at .700vdc instead of .710. Currently I put it at .710, could this be affecting this?

Old 11-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I took my 700 out today, first time since my last post and it started doing it again. Its colder out 22deg out. Can tps affect this? I remember last year when I first moved the tps it was at .700vdc instead of .710. Currently I put it at .710, could this be affecting this?
First off any time you mess with the tps setting you're asking for trouble if you screw up the internal tps spring! IF you have the correct harness adapter,along with the voltage regulator and a 9 volts battery you can try to set the tps at the correct base line of .528 vdc,BUT the throttle cable has to have slack removed from the buttery fly wheel first.Then you need to have the special "D" ring driver for the throttle body idle adjuster to remove tension from the butterfly valve completely! Once that's done the base line vdc can be set and the tps tightened down. Then you adjust the idle screw with the d ring driver to 710 vdc.If you just adjusted the tps sensor to get to 710 vdc,you've screwed up..You might have to take this to the dealer or if you have the harness,you can try to adjust it correctly. Hopefully the tps sensor wont have to be replaced..

Old 11-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

Could this cause my symptoms?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 efi sputtering and stalling