Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris 700, won't crank over

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris 700, won't crank over

My number 2 son brought me his quad and asked if I could get it started. The unit has sat for several years without him being able to get it running. I drained the fuel tank, replaced the fuel filter and put in fresh fuel. When he first brought it we tried the key and the dash lights came on and when turned to the start position the starter would cranked over once or twice. I put a battery charger on it and let it be for several hours. That night I tried it again and it turned over better but I was on my way out so I just left it to charge more.

Part 2 coming

Old 12-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Several days late I went back to the unit prepared to work on it. Nothing happened, no dash lights no cranking or even clicking sounds. I check for loose or dirty connections on the battery and solenoid. Everything looked good, jumped the solenoid and the starter cranked over. I removed the head light bezel to access the ignition switch which I unplugged. I used a jumper wire from the fourth contact (red wire and small red wire) to the 1st contact which is a white wire with a red stripe. I was able to get this unit to start and run. I could use the kill switch to stop it or I could plug the old ignition switch back in with the key in the run position and use it to shut it off. I ordered a new switch from amazon and when I tried the new switch I still get nothing.
On a side note I had a battery tender on the unit and it showed the battery fully charged, but if I hooked up my 200 amp booster the unit turns over much better and seems to start quicker. I’m thinking the battery is gone also, so I will pull it out and get it tested. Not sure if a poor battery will affect the running but when I give it throttle it does rev up much and it will backfire and sputter. I’ve read about the Ducati ignition problems but I don’t what to look at that until I get the ignition switch working or is it related. Lots of money for replacement ignition system, over $750 up here in Canada.

Thanks for any input

Old 12-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Lot's of money,but it's the best kit out there! My two cents is I wouldn't go for the RM kit that's available because it still uses the Ducati lighting coil for the ignition source and I've had lighting coils go out also..Then you're stuck again.To me it's just a bypass and cheaper. You get what you pay for.. Only way to repair it right is to get the #2202602 Kokusan kit that has everything and does away with that crappy Ducati ignition system!

Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your input OPT! Does replacing the ducati system with the Kokusan kit fix the problem with the ignition switch not working or is it a different issue?

Old 12-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Makita
Thanks for your input OPT! Does replacing the ducati system with the Kokusan kit fix the problem with the ignition switch not working or is it a different issue?
Different animal.. Gotta have the ignition switch working properly along with the left control switch that can cause problems that people sometimes overlook.Even if you get the switch working,engine runs ok,DON'T ride alone as it can leave you stranded when the Ducati ignition decides to commit suicide..

Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, so where do I start looking the rectify the ignition switch problem? Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram for this unit

Old 12-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Here's an 03 700 manual for 5 bucks. Same as the 2002,just different graphics. Has a good wiring schematic. 2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 12-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I have found the problem why the ignition switch wasn't working, it appears that the r/w wire connection has burnt out. If I move the connector around I can get it to work. Where would a person find a connector for that without replacing the wiring harness. The pin on the switch side of the connector looks good

Old 12-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try this place on connectors.Motorcycle Connectors If fixing the switch doesn't work,remember the Kokusan kit.