Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stalled my 2008 Sportsman EFI in the water and now it won't start..

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalled my 2008 Sportsman EFI in the water and now it won't start..

I got stuck in a water hole with some mud at the bottom and the machine unfortunately stalled (kept it going for a couple mins but then it died). We winched it out and couldn't get it going again (even after tipping it up to drain out the exhaust). After towing it home I pulled the tank off to get easier access to the plug and pulled it. It was wet and had tons of gunk on it. I cleaned it off really well. I turned the engine over a few times to shoot any water in the cylinder out. We also tipped the machine up a few times to drain water out the exhaust. I am getting good spark but the machine will not start. I've checked the EFI fuse it's good. I can hear the EFI pump working when you turn the key on. I tried pouring some gas in the cylinder and the trying to start it and nothing. It cranks strongly but doesn't fire. I don't know if the injectors are working right. After trying to start it multiple times and pulling the plug it's dry... not wet at all.
The other thing is that twice the machine has sort of backfired out of the airbox? or side of the cylinder? very strange. This occurs while trying to start it.

Any help with this would be great! Thanks! Hoping to go out tomorrow afternoon.

Before I stalled it in the water it worked really well.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Even though you're getting spark I'd pull the flywheel and clean up the stator and crank position sensor. I'd take apart all electrical connections and blow out any condensation and use electrical grease. Moisture can cause all sorts of problems with electronics.If you suspect the fuel might be contaminated best to just siphon out the tank and use fresh gas and go from there.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the gas out to fresh gas and dumped in some fuel line antifreeze and still nothing. I pulled the tank off and pulled the injector out and turned the key to start it. A bit of gas shot out of the injector so I'm assuming that is not the issue. Also, I had my old man try to start it while I smelled the air coming out of the exhaust and for sure smelled gas. I also am getting really strong spark. This makes no sense to me... It sounds like it wants to go so bad.

I don't have dielectric grease but I pulled some connections apart and they seemed good.

Anybody have anything?